my computer's acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz202

Baseband Member
My computer has been acting weird for about a week now. I posted a hijack this log here with no luck. I tried to scan my computer on line at Trend. It came up negative. Also at the beginnig of the scan I am prompted to restart my puter to completely clean the trojan, exactly as it did the last time I was infected. I also downloaded AVG and tried a scan with negative results. I'm not sure if that is effective if the virus is present before the install or not. Any advice on this matter would be great.
Thanks in advance

Tools for killing spyware are:

start with an online virus check Yes you may have the latest and greatest but often these are blocked so that they appear to work but are not. Online checks cannot be blocked. If you can't get to the online page you have either got a java problem or big worries.

spybot Must be updated as soon as its installed.

adaware Must be updated as soon as its installed.

spyware blasterRun this as a further check[/url]

bhodaemon Use this to see what "helper objects" are not very helpful.

Hijack this Gives you a list and lets you decide what to kill.

cwshredder gets cool web search and its variants

Now the tricky bit is to work out what you don't want.

Where possible run these in safe mode (press f8 just before windows starts loading)
First, disconnect from the internet and if you have a network, unplug the network cable. This will prevent cross-infecting from other machines or the internet feeding you more problems.

Run spybot to kill most things automatically
Run adaware to see if spybot missed anything
Run bhodaemon and look up whether you want those bhos
Run hikack this, make a note of any .exe or .dll or .cab files, check the ones you want fixed and click the fix button. Now go on a search and destroy mission on of your own. Make sure you can see hidden and system files (my computer, folder options,view for xp or my computer, view, folder options, view for 9x) Find each file and delete it - either to the recycle bin and then empty it or press and hold shift and hit the delete key.

If files will not let you delete them, you may have to turn off a service in xp/2k and end a process tree, or in 9x/me press ctrl, alt,del and end task.

Now use the immunise function in spybot to stop those damn things installing again.

Only reboot to normal mode when you feel sure you got it all. If you didn't you make get it straight back again.

There are a few more of these utils - I am sure people will add to the list.

pestpatrol has a library of spyware with explanations The product is commercial, but the info is free.

You will also need some sort of winsock /lsp fix if certain spyware is removed the wrong way. When this happens you will know, because you wont get on the internet and nothing you do will make a difference.

winsockfix

winsock2 fix

lsp fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom