MSN messenger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alegria

Beta member
Hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum to place this in, but I'm taking the plunge.

Anyway, I know very little about computers. However, recently I had someone stick their nose into my personal life and give me a scare...the immature thing to do. An anonymous MSN messenger user IMed me. I took note of their screen name and email address and saved the conversation, although nothing they said could really reaveal their identity. This anonymous user knew a lot of sensitive information, so I didn't know if they'd bugged my computer or if they had just successfully guessed my password...even though the info they revealed to me was stuff that only I knew how to get to. I had a more computer savvy friend help me out, but he said that I probably wasn't bugged.

The anonymous IMer also threatened me, so then it became a personal issue. Anyway, I had another person look into it and they found that the hotmail account the person had been using to contact me had been closed 2 years ago. So, I was labeled a liar and told that I'd made everything up for attention; I was told there was no possible way I could've been IMed by that email address. Is there any other solution to all this?

For one, this is your fault because you chose to talk to someone anonymous, stupid thing to do. Unless they say who/where they are from, block them immediately. Common sense caution, I thought..

alright well...if my only objective in making a post was to be berated, I would've gone elsewhere...regardless of what I should've done, that still doesn't answer my question.

Well if he knew that much, I would wipe my pc, setup a stronger firewall, hardware and software, passdword protec windows logon. You can use msn messenger and not log on into your email.

I don't know how anyone could find out that a Hotmail acc't had been closed "2 years ago".

Do you have stuff listed in your 'profile'? A homepage link, perhaps? Most people put things like real addresses, likes and dislikes, family info etc. in their profiles which is great fodder for the grazers.

I would suggest you do online scans at one of these:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
make note of what they find, and checkmark that they 'Clean' what is found.

You might also do a HijackThis scan and post it for analysis.

It is frightening when someone appears to know all about you.

Piney

Just a FYI, I am using a messenger address that doesn't exist as it was created before email verification was required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom