msmsgs.exe can be both virus and msn file

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspec

Baseband Member
Hi
I have had msn installed and running for some time now so I was surprised when windows firewall asked if I wanted to block it. So I looked in avg spy autostart log to find msn and also msmsgs.exe running. I then did an Internet search and it said msmsgs.exe was both a real msn file and a virus depending where you find it. Oh Avg virus scan does not show anything. Avg spy show it as being in “c:\progra~2\messen~1\msmsgs.exe” /background . I don't have a c:\progra~2 in my c drive so I uninstalled all msn programs windows live and msn 5.1. but it still shows in avg spy.

So what do you think I should do and do you think it is a virus

Thanks

Go thru the guide. I have several versions of MSN Messenger (Windows Live Messenger) installed. From versions 8.1 and 8.5 to the Version 9 beta. I have not come across anything with no spyware installed. I think it is just a false positive than spyware. If you removed the folder that you said you didnt have then it shoudl be gone.

But from looking at the file location that is the spyware one. It should not show /background. Go thru the guide to remove it completely.

Hi thanks will do that. If it is a virus I think I would have got it when I clicked on a pop up and it maybe pretending to be part of the msn group.

Can I ask one more thing before I start scanning. this folder in my c drive c:\progra~2\messen~1\msmsgs.exe I want to delete it before scanning and even with the show all folder when I look in the c:\ there is no progra~2.

Any idea where I can find it

Honestly no. At first it looks like the DOS version of the Program Folder name but i have never seen a 2 before with it. The only ones i have seen look like the \messen~1 folder that it specifies. Maybe check your program folder jsut incase.

Msn has acted as an access point for a while, msn+, an adonn for 6 had some isues with a versin of the adon as well as the usuall; as far as msn is concerned, It should be safe; run virus protection.

Its it important to know that msn messenger is different from windows messenger, you may see both exe runing, you can dissable each one exclusive of the other, you will need to access the registry for windows messenger; probly got flaged as a virus because it is difficult to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom