Mouse Virus???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrdbr111

Baseband Member
The past few days I've had trouble with my mouse. It randomly jumps to the other side of the screen than what I'm on, it double clicks things when I single click it, etc..

I know there are viruses out there that a typical anti-virus may not detect, so is there anyone that knows of a utility that may be able to detect such a virus and remove it??

Try cleaning the mouse. With a very, very damp washcloth, try cleaning the mouse ball, or wiping AROUND the laser.

If you happen to be using a ball mouse, a cotton swab (Q-TIP) really works at getting junk out.

Yeah, I've tried that, but even if I hadn't it still wouldn't explain why my mouse double, or triple clicks when I single click, etc..

I've never had this problem in the 10 years I've been computing, and have no idea why it's there accept if there is a mouse virus that your typical anti-virus can't detect..

Here are a few possiblities:

- Hacker. They can "play" around with the computer. Make sure you have a firewall on.

- Mouse Acceleration. I turn mine off. It makes the mouse skip around sometimes. Turn it off in Control Panel -> Mouse

- Dirty mouse. Sometimes stuff like food, lint will get inside the mouse, making it skip.

It's not dirt, trust me. Dirt doesn't cause a mouse to double or triple click things at random, nor does it cause the mouse to randomly click things that you're not even near.

I have a pretty good firewall, and a free anti-virus. I do not have the mouse acceleration on, and have never had this problem before..

I've changed through 3 mouses prior to posting, and I can tell it's something hidden like a specific virus altering every other movement, click, etc..

Do you or anyone else out there know of a detector that can specifically target a mouse virus through a scan?

You may have trash software installed (Comet Cursor, Cursor Software) that makes the pointor change color, move around at random, etc.

Check Add/Remove programs for any weird "cursor" programs.

nope, none of that on here.. Do you know of any anti-virus/anti-hijacking progs that may seek and detect a mouse virus??

Anyone?? As previously stated, I do not have a dirty mouse, it is not the actual mouse hardware, there is no comet cursor, etc software installed on my pc, it's not how I've changed the double click speed or the motion speed..

The supposed virus randomly moves my mouse around even when not touched, When I "single click" it "double, or triple clicks"...

I may open my e-mail and it opens it 6-12 times, same with my browser as well.. When I'm surfing it runs the mouse to a random button such as refresh, submits multiple times, or clicks a different tab than what I'm on..

This is a very annoying problem and anyone with experiences similar or a special anti-virus that seeks hijacking software, please reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom