Missing HD space

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry5739

In Runtime
So i have been noticing missing space in my harddrive and im assuming a virus is behind it all. My HD is partitioned into two 36GB sections. My harddrive space on the first partition is down to 300 MB left now.. yet i have only about 5GB saved on it. I have run ad-aware and AVG yet nothing has solved it yet. Also,i cannot access the task manager anymore... any suggestions?

Have you done an Analye and defrag recently ?
Have you cleared your offline files and folders, temps and cache ?

I have seen an 8Gb .tmp file before... you might want to search your machine for *.tmp in the search function.

If you think its virus related :

Download and install HighJackThis
Run the scan and post the log to the Analyze section.

yeah i have defragged....ad-aware..and virus scanned..i found many infections and healed them(AVG)...i look at folders in C:/ and it adds to nearly 7 GB..yet it says 34 is being used...thats way off..something hidden is takin space..also task manager doesnt work .

You can try getting to taskmanager by goin to start>run and typing taskmgr.
Are you missing any bandwith? You might have been rooted.
If so they could be using your box as a server. which is not hard to stop. I dont have the info here at work but I do at home.
You could get a bandwith monitor and see if there is bandwith being used when you are not using any. If so i would say you have been rooted. There are rootkit removers outthere but it would depend on how it was installed. Some are very good and some suck. Dont ask how i know ;P.
If you do think you have been rooted get in contact with me and i can help .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom