Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
you may or may not know, that MS put out a "tool" to remove "crap" from you PC.... It was part of MS Update for me...

however, after looking/searching/reading....

How do you run Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

I don't get it... nothing is really installed on your computer, but it edits some registry entries?

There is a place on MS site to click to begin the process... But what does it do, exactly.

I don't want a tool deleting files OFF MY PC unless I know what it is or AT least have a chance to say yes or no.

Thanks

Larry, you don't have to download it:

After the tool has been executed and the End-User License Agreement (EULA) is accepted, the tool automatically checks for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software and removes any found.

But I downloaded it yesterday and haven't seen anything running differently about my system. Liz

Yes, this "tool" is not downloaded, but how do you "run" it.
I read that you know it runs because it creates a file some place???

What I want to know is:
How do you run it... I want to see what it does... I want to know what it finds or if it deletes anything.

I can't have Microsoft product just go delete something off my machine with letting me know in advance OR at least let me control the settings?

thanks

PS. On the microsoft website, there are many questions/answers but none that I could find that answers the questions I have :(

The update in question is this one: Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830) NOT THIS: Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

There is a difference between the two. The top one is JUST for specific types of spyware:
Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830)
This tool checks your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any variants found. You should also use an antivirus product to remove other malicious software that may be present. This tool helps maintain your computer, and its appearance does not indicate that your machine is infected with malicious software. After you run this item, you may have to restart your computer.
Help and support
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39987

Larry, I hope that link helps you find your answer. Liz

Thanks....

Yes... that was the page I found earlier...
BUT... it does not say how I manually run it or what it does when it runs? I talks "about" things... just never says exactly what, why, how, when ,etc.

It says I can run the online version.... not sure why I would want too.

UNLESS I'm missing something, that long microsoft page does not give the simple steps to execute or run the program on your local machine....

thanks
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom