This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairic

Baseband Member
One of our users is experiencing a problem where messages are being sent out from her e-mail and she's getting that error: "This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one ormore of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following addres(es) failed:"

She is also receiving e-mail messages with random links in them (most of which I'm afraid to even click on for a variety or reasons). These e-mail are clearly spam or e-mail with a malicious intent. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with this?

Thanks in advance!

go thru my guide on the signature below, then we can run out an infection on the local desktop.

go thru my guide on the signature below, then we can run out an infection on the local desktop.

Sorry, I should have given more detail; I was rushed a little when I posted this.
When she got the infection I gave her another laptop to use so I could take my time running scans on the original one. While I was doing that she continued to get those bounce back e-mails (undeliverable). Once I realized that the problem wasn't tied to her laptop, but her e-mail address, I started looking into causes based on that. At this point I think that a spammer is spoofing her e-mail address. The e-mails that get bounced back to her have her address in the from line, but the domain is not ours but rather one from Paris (thanks to DNSstuff).

The problem now is that I'm not sure what to tell the user; "Hey, it'll stop eventually, just wait until then". It looks like (SPF aside) there's nothing I can do in this case; what do you guys think?

I ran some more scans on her laptop today just to be sure, and everything came up clean. She's still getting the e-mail problem though; if it were a spammer spoofing her address I would've expected it to have stopped by now. Anyone got any ideas, or is it just a very persistant spammer?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom