McAfee Attacking Core System Files with Latest Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
McAfee Attacking Core System Files with Latest Update

McAfee users are blowing up about an apparent glitch in McAfee's most recent virus signature update. This glitch causes McAfee to attack core system files, sometimes causing BSODs. I don't think these were the fireworks that sysadmins were expecting today.

Based on anecdotes, the glitch appears to be caused when older VirusScan engines install DAT 5664, which McAfee seems to have pushed out in the past 24 hours. Affected systems then begin identifying a wide variety of legitimate - and frequently crucial - system files as malware. Files belonging to Microsoft Internet Explorer, drivers for Compaq computers, and even the McAfee-associated McScript.exe were being identified as a trojan called PWS!hv.aq, according to the posts and interviews.

i've had junk like this happen with avast many years ago...very annoying. Oh well, mcafee is seriously over rated...just like norton, i don't see why people use it

I stopped using AV long ago, now I just use a firewall and run various programs weekly like Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, etc.

I think the only reason people use McAfee/Norton/etc. is because they come bundled with pre-builts all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom