Is McAefe Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a system hog. It trys to take over your entire computer. I think I counted 8-10 running Mcafee associated programs when I had it installed.

Comcast currently has Mcafee for free if you have comcast. Just look for it on the comcast homepage.

I installed it but since I have a slower computer with not a lot of memory it just killed me during online games. So my choice was to shut it down during online or any game play or switch back to AVG free. I think AVG has 3-4 running processes.

Plus every computer "expert" I have ever talked to has said AVG is the way to go, even over a full suite from Mcafee or Nortons.

I just remeberd Mcafee has a privacy program that is a giant pain in the ass. Its part of the package and you can choose to install it or not. Unless you want to be promted to accept a cookie every time you visit a site dont install it.

assunta said:
I use Windows AntiSpyware (used to be Big software...bought by MSFT), never had a problem with spyware. Even with that dreaded AURORA spyware (I hated that!!!)

You know I used that for about 3 months with other programs installed(spybot etc.) and it never found one thing. All the other programs picked up spyware but not once did MS antispyware.

Its gotten good reviews though, it just never found a thing for me. It was actually pretty funny, theres a "things cleaned to date" header that shows you what the program has cleaned. Mine was a big fat 0, and that was with an automatic scan at 5 in the morning everyday. You do the math.

For spyware etc. I use spybot adware and Ewido Suite. Ewido seems to pick up things that adware and spybot miss. Thers a free trial that comes with a free edition too. Its the only AV/AS program I have ever considered buying.

http://www.ewido.net/en/

i currently use mcafee...mainly because i got it for free, but it does it's job. i have it for two years now and it's been working out fine. it's not the best i've seen, but it works for me :D . anyways, back to norton... norton sucks...count me in static. it takes too much just to run it. i'm glad you got it for free, spork, since norton is by far the worst anti-virus program there is.

I had a problem with the Privacy service from McAfee. When I would start my computer it would take at least 10 minutes to boot because of it. I uninstalled it and now it's back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom