maybe a virus? - strange problem with my RAID HDDs (initializing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I first posted this in the Hardware torubleshooting forum, but since I think maybe the cause of the problem might be a virus, I should post it here as well:
I have two drives in a mirrored RAID setup (I think that is called RAID 1).
I use the volume mostly for stroing data and music, etc.

I was just on the PC when all of a sudden my audio interface turned off by itself and the PC screen froze. I had to hit the reset button to boot again.
It booted normally but I got the RAID monitor message 'one volume is being initialized'.
What does all of this mean?
Now I am afraid of losing my data stored on the RAID drives. I booted again, but the initializing is still in process.

Could all of this be a virus???
What should I do? How can I find out what happened and why it happened?

I'd appredciate any kind of help!

Thanks,

Lars

I highly doubt it.

What kind of raid controller you using? Have you reseated it? Update drivers? Flash its bios?

I highly doubt it.

What kind of raid controller you using? Have you reseated it? Update drivers? Flash its bios?

Thanks for your input !

I have a Marvell RAID monitor.
Could this incident have been a hardware problem or a failing HDD?
Now the RAID drives are still initializing. Does that mean I will lose my data that's on it?

I've seen this take hours before to complete initializing. How long has it been since its been tryin to initialize continously?

It's writing every block on all the disks. This is done to make sure that the parity is correct.

It's writing every block on all the disks. This is done to make sure that the parity is correct.

OK, thanks.

So, it's basically checking to see if both didcs in the RAID are identical?
In this case, I haven't actually lost any data, have I?
How can this incident be explained? How can this happen?

A HDD might possibly be bad. If it happens again and again, I'd use a utility to find out which hard drive is failing and replace it.

If this has happened only once it may be a fluke, but keep an eye on it. All your data "should" be there but not going to promise on that. As long as you didn't "clear" anything or if the hard drive is in an ok shape, then you should be fine. I guess you will find out when its done initializing.

A HDD might possibly be bad. If it happens again and again, I'd use a utility to find out which hard drive is failing and replace it.

If this has happened only once it may be a fluke, but keep an eye on it. All your data "should" be there but not going to promise on that. As long as you didn't "clear" anything or if the hard drive is in an ok shape, then you should be fine. I guess you will find out when its done initializing.

OK, thank you very much for helping,

I will look into this tomorrow. I gotta go to bed now (2:30 am here).

Thanks again!

Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom