Malwarebytes keeps coming up in registry

aimo3

In Runtime
I installed a trial version of Malwarebytes on a computer just for the purpose of scanning with it. I do that a lot of times, and always make sure to remove it from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

However whenever I restart the PC, is comes right back to the Run key and starts with Windows.

I checked under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. There is nothing. And msconfig says it's in HKLM, not HKCU.

I don't delete the the registry key as there other entries under it. I just delete the MBAM entry. And the entry doesn't exist before you install the program.

Ok, I'll rephrase.

You didn't mention if you uninstall MBAM before deleting the MBAM entry or not.

In other words, are you removing MBAM or is it still installed?

Oh, I should have been clearer.

I don't uninstall it from any machine. I just make sure it doesn't run at start up. I don't seem to be able to do that now.

Is there not a setting in MBAM that allows you to not set it in startup?

If Win7/8: Checked msconfig -> Startup tab ?
if Win10: Checked Task Manager -> Startup tab ?

There doesn't seem to be an option in version 3. And I always prefer doing thing right from where they are. Like if the start up is in the registry, I do it from the registry. If in the start up folder, I do it from there.

Now as I touched this f***ing msconfig, somehow I cannot revert it back. and somehow now I have 2 entries under the startup folder for MBAM, one selected and the other is clear. And MBAM still starts with Windows.

Back
Top Bottom