Malware on New Windows Install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think that makes sense. I didn't expect it to be too difficult, but I've been poking around to see where the settings would be.

My XP CD is service pack 1, meaning no firewall, old old version of XP, and old version on internet explorer.

I'll get malware within 5 minutes on it. Did you install AVG from a disk or did you go online with IE to get it? Makes a big difference.

So when I reformat, first thing I do is have service pack 2 installed from a cd, then temporarily use zone alarm firewall to be safe, then install avg, spyware blaster, spybot, and a squared, and firefox. Once all those are set up I make sure automatic updates are on.

I don't surf the web just wait for the yellow icon to turn on & install windows updates automatically.

Reboot finalize windows updates, defrag & then your set up, so for me to reformat is a pretty big pain.

macdawg said:
My XP CD is service pack 1, meaning no firewall, old old version of XP, and old version on internet explorer.

I'll get malware within 5 minutes on it. Did you install AVG from a disk or did you go online with IE to get it? Makes a big difference.

So when I reformat, first thing I do is have service pack 2 installed from a cd, then temporarily use zone alarm firewall to be safe, then install avg, spyware blaster, spybot, and a squared, and firefox. Once all those are set up I make sure automatic updates are on.

I don't surf the web just wait for the yellow icon to turn on & install windows updates automatically.

Reboot finalize windows updates, defrag & then your set up, so for me to reformat is a pretty big pain.
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I believe SP1 has a firewall, but it's disabled by default, and if you have a direct unfirewalled connection to the net you can get worms on your system in a minute flat. Make certain your internet connection is firewalled before you actually hook it up, then head to the windows update page and grab every critical update you can.

my xp disk has no firewall, which is why i install sp2 first thing.

i also should clarify I burn all those apps like zone alarm & avg to a cd to install on my pc before i ever go online after a reformat.

so when i reformat before going online i install: sp2, direct x, mobo drivers, video card & sound card drivers, peripheral drivers, avg, zone alarm, firefox, spybot, spyware blaster.

I install from a CD before ever going online, make sure automatic updates is on so you don't have to go online with an old version of IE, test connection by updating avg etc.

Install updates automatically.

Thats been a perfect install for me everytime.

Oh yeah, that'll work fine.
You might also look into slipstreaming SP2 into your original disk, save you a bit of time.

Just letting everyone know that I got it all figured out.

I reformatted the whole hard drive (including dell partition) like three times though.

The real trouble came when I figured out that the strange router that I've never heard of had some unusual port forwarding stuff set, including some open ports intended for tech support that no one is using anymore.(or is supposed to be using...)

So we're all back up and running and everything is of course much faster and my boss is happy and I can breathe a little.

"The real trouble came when I figured out that the strange router that I've never heard of had some unusual port forwarding stuff set, including some open ports intended for tech support that no one is using anymore.(or is supposed to be using...)"

firewall settings?

glad you got it figured out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom