Malware on limewire? Security question

If someone saved it and then put it on another p2p could they trace it back to my IP address. If my name or no info was on it. Just hypothetically

To your IP? I doubt it...they wouldn't really need to though - they already have your physical location and other personal info. From there they could gather more info on you though.

I also had photos of my wife on there that she would not appreciate people seeing. And wouldn't want them getting around. They didn't have her name or nothing. Anyway they could trace that back to me or having her know about it.

The types of crackers that steal data from others pc's are not especially interested in embarrassing you or your wife, They want your bank account, SS numbers and things that can be profitable to them

I still wouldn't want other people downloading it. If malware made that folder available and those pictures got on there inadvertently

That's why you watch what you download, and if you think you are infected you scan your system and then check application settings to see if they were modified.

Also if my personal documents did get shared such as photos and other stuff I have on my computer. Wouldn't that show up on my saved folder in the categories under images and stuff on limewire. Aren't most viruses in disguise as programs on p2p downloads. I heard they are rarely listed as songs.

Also if my personal documents did get shared such as photos and other stuff I have on my computer. Wouldn't that show up on my saved folder in the categories under images and stuff on limewire.

It's been years and years since I've used Limewire...so I can't comment on that. I would assume it had an interface to show what files you were sharing/uploading.

Aren't most viruses in disguise as programs on p2p downloads. I heard they are rarely listed as songs.

Yes, viruses are usually executable files and/or DLL files that other malware hook into. They can still be "listed" as songs, but will have an EXE extension.

Unfortunately, Windows defaults to hiding known extensions for programs...so they may name a file something along the lines of "ReallyPopularSongAtTheTime.mp3.exe" and since Windows hides known extensions by default, it will hide the ".exe" part, and it will show up as "ReallyPopularSongAtTheTime.mp3" so it "looks" like a song. However, file sizes usually give it away as well, because the viruses were usually <500KB, and actual songs are 2-5MB+, depending on the quality (bitrate) of the song.

Back
Top Bottom