Macafee will not delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvrdan

Baseband Member
Alright, so we just bought a new computer with Macafee on it, but i uninstalled it and installed norton, becuase we had just bought norton. When i uninstalled it and restarted the computer, i checked the windows security thing, and it says the the macafee firewall is still installed and working along with the norton, and the windows firewall.

I want it gone because i think that it is blocking a filesharing program from connecting. I disabled windows firewall along with norton and it still will not connect, so i think it is macafee.. I also used the macafee cleanup tool and it did nothing. Can anyone help me?

You replaced an average antivirus with a worse one? Trust me, norton might be harder to remove than mcafee.

Stop any McAfee services and processes. Use the uninstaller if it has one, if not use control panel. After you're done, reboot, delete any folders that say McAfee. Do a search to be sure you get them all. Then delete any registry keys that say McAfee. You may have to boot to safe mode for this.

Also go into Safe Mode. That way the processes dont even start. Easier to remove it from there.

haha, yeah the mother bought a years worth of norton so i figure that i might as well use it...but how do i delete the registry?

and i have searched it and it comes up with nothing. I also used msconfig and there arent even any macafee options to uncheck for startup or services.

If McAfee is being that much of a pain, you could always break it by using Hijackthis. However, this can still leave reigstry values and errors.

yeah superdave knows what he is talking about. Just delete anything that says mcafee in the system. Check program folders, files, registry for any trace. After reboot and it should all be deleted! Then you can install norton:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom