Large Hadron Collider Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Large Hadron Collider Hacked

Can someone please explain to me why ANY computer connected to the Hadron Collider project (or anything else of this magnitude) was accessible via the internet in the first place? Seriously.

The hackers were stopped before they could access the Collider's central computer system, but were described by the Telegraph as being "one step away" from full control of the CMS. They deleted one as-yet publicly unidentified file -- the hacker equivalent, perhaps, of counting coup.

Why? The LHC will not cause any black holes.

Well it's supposed to be a powerful machine...and you'd think they would have better than just half-arsed security on their machines, if they do anything with them. I doubt your average joe would be able to just walk up to the front doors of the lab, and invite himself in to where the LHC is...I'd assume you'd need some sort of clearance or pass to do that ;).

Well it's supposed to be a powerful machine...and you'd think they would have better than just half-arsed security on their machines, if they do anything with them. I doubt your average joe would be able to just walk up to the front doors of the lab, and invite himself in to where the LHC is...I'd assume you'd need some sort of clearance or pass to do that ;).

One name mate "Westinghouse", up untill about 2000 they had security that you could walk through an still do after you get past the first layer from reports I have read. I am less concerned about the security of the collder because although its powerful they don't have care of nuclear weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom