Japanese P2P Trojan deletes Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A new kind of Trojan was discovered recently which targets only Japanese file-sharers. When executed the Trojan displays manga-like images with a reminder which differs depending on which image is displayed. The text however looks similar and always asks the user to stop using P2P networks. One of the messages for instance reads “”Ah, I see you are using P2P again…if you don’t stop in 0.5 seconds, I’m going to kill you.” Talk about a threat boy, jeeze.”

This however is not the real danger of this Trojan. While the Trojan displays the message and plays a song it is deleting files in the background. It apparently targets many important files types such as exe, bat, xls, mp3 and mbx. This could mean that it deletes your mailbox, some important excel spreadsheets and executables that are needed to run the system at all.

It was first suspected that a copyright holder was responsible for the creation and spreading of the Trojan but I think this theory is highly unlikely. IÂ’m not familiar with Japanese laws but I donÂ’t think it would be ok to fight fire with fire in the land of the rising sun.

The Trojan seems to be clearly targeted at certain user groups which is a fair assumption if you consider the looks and feels of it.

Users should be aware that it is always dangerous to run unknown programs even with an up to date firewall and antivirus solution. It is always better to stop the urge to run a program and be on the safe side than to run it and face consequences like deleted files.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8458/J...unts+users+as+it+deletes+all+their+PC's+files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom