Infected with Conficker! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your help :)

Well, i'm back, after formatting and getting some of my programs back on my PC i somehow have the virus again. It doesn't seem as bad as last time...yet. And the virus reported has a different name compared to last time. The bad thing is that my antivirus is reporting viruses or suspicious files, and those files are in the windows folder. Now, since I have solved the freezing problem on my desktop, i have downloaded a few software and am going to go through safe mode and try and run them on the desktop. I hope it works.

On the other hand im wondering how i got the virus, I connected my external hard drive and before i did so i scanned it and it seemed clean. I am scanning it once again now and so far, still seems clean. So im just wondering how i got the virus once again, since I downloaded only a few things since the format, from very safe websites.

I have scanned my external drive with nod32 and clamwin free antivirus.

I will now run HijackThis and CCleaner on my desktop (if i don't face any problems) in safe mode, and will report back with the HijackThis log if i dont have problems.

Whoever told you that needs to come and tell me that.... :freak:

Don't listen to them, that have no idea what they are talking about :eek::confused:

Ok my friend, I've downloaded the programs, I'm putting them on a USB now and i'll run them on Safe mode on my desktop and hopefully won't run into any problems. I'll post back with results

Ok so here's the deal. It seems like this virus has created a new user or something, and is not allowing me access to certain things. I installed hijackthis for example, and it doesnt work. The logo on the desktop is just a white logo, and the same goes for malwarebytes and combofix. the only program i have managed to work so far is CCleaner.

I tried to go into CP and edit user accounts and permissions etc, but the virus seems to be blocking me from doing that. On a side note, I am not connected to the internet from the desktop currently.

Whenever i click on the (white logo) hijackthis from the desktop, or malwarebytes or combofix, i get either an error saying the pathfile could not be found etc, or i get a BSoD.

PS: I think this clean USB that i have the files for Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Combofix and Hijackthis is also now infected.

What do you suggest I do next?
PS #2: This was not on safe mode. I clicked f8 safe mode didn't come up so i thought why not try on normal mode. I don't think safe mode will make much difference either tbh. BTW I now get an error saying the userinit logon application had to close, or the same error with windows explorer (that it had to close) And i am left with my desktop background picture and no buttons or icons or anything.

My nod32 comes up with threats every second in different locations (it seems to suggest ImgBurn for example has a virus, or some random software, or a program in the windows folder. It reports the threat as Win32/Virut.NBK virus

Could it be possible that this virus or whatever I might have is forcing Nod32 to show such alerts? Because the places it points at i really don't think are viruses.

Conficker isn't a boot sector virus so when you reformatted that drive, whatever was on it is gone. Conficker infects you if you don't have KB958644 Installed.

Did you format the USB Drive?

I'm still leaning towards a hardware issue. How many sticks of ram do you have installed?

I have 4 sticks of ram with 1GB each (And yes - I am aware that xp doesn't recognize the ram after 3.25GB). If it IS infact hardware, then what is this ''virus alert'' that i am getting spammed by all about. How come when i try and login userinit logon application or windows explorer closes down unexpeectedly and I am left with a blank screen only my desktop background...?

I just find it hard to believe that before I first got the virus, I had no hardware issues. and now you seem to suggest that I have hardware issues. I formatted and everything was working fine for at least 3 hours or 4, then I began having problems again.

By the way, the error i get when I try and open hijackthis etc (any program with a white logo) is: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

PS: I did not have that update installed. (I'm pretty sure of that.)

Well, I installed NOD32 after the format, when everything was fine, I was reinstalling my programs and the important stuff I had before the format which I managed to backup onto my external hard drive ( which 2 different scans confirmed my external drive to be clean).

I'll try the online scan and report back soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom