Infected with Conficker! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hi guys,

after seeking assistant from a few friends who know more about PC's than me and not being successful, i have decided to come to you. I am writing this from my laptop.

Note: I am running XP PRO on my desktop that is now infected.

The other day i was browsing the web and downloaded a crack for a game from a site which I did not trust, and sadly, it turned out to be a TERRIBLE virus. I have not confirmed what it is but i'm pretty sure its the conficker worm that microsoft has set a 250,000 bounty on to find the creater. I have never seen anything like this. It installed MS anti spyware, froze my pc up, and i could not login.

What i Tried:

-Safe mode operation (PC Freezes)
-Recovery console with XP CD (Did not succeed)
-Repair windows files with XP CD(PC froze during repair)
-System Restore (no change-made things even worse tbh)
-Bart PE for XP PRO to save my files (PC Freezes while I try and transfer files)

To be honest, I will format this PC in the end, but my main concern is keeping my files because I have A LOT of things on my desktop that mean so much to me it is almost out of the question for me to delete them just like that. Bart PE seemed to work at first but a few minutes after beginning transferring files to my external usb drive, the PC freezes.

PS: I am also now realizing that by connecting my external drive i may have infected it with the worm.

Please guys, help me somehow backup my files before the formatting, I cannot watch all these things go just like that. There's got to be a way.

After backing up the files, I would also be pleased if you can confirm with me if I probably infected my external drive or not, and how I can clean it later on.

Side note: My PC was running with Nod 32 (the latest edition) with XP Pro service pack 3.

Thanks,
Daniel

Well the thing is i can't do much with the desktop right now I can try and open up bart pe to run hijackthis but i dont have it on the Pc so i would need to download it, i dont know if i can do that stuff with bart pe.

I can also try that on safe mode but i dont know how far i can go. Let me try and see what happens, but the main problem is i am writing this from my laptop and i am not currently able to do much with the desktop.

I'm going to try now though, and see what happens. What do you suggest, trying with safe mode or with Bart PE?

Ok here's the deal, if you remember, i wrote that I tried repairing with the XP CD, and i told u that my PC froze during the repair...well, when i try safe mode, or login normally, it opens up the windows xp repair screen and says the repair will restart and it starts from where it left off and seems fine for a moment, then the **** thing FREEZES.

So, safe mode or logging in XP is no longer an option, it seems.

and I can try Bart PE but i dont know if i can download and use hijack this with Bart PE.

Another thought i had was to maybe make a fresh install of XP on D: Drive and try and recover my files from my C: drive and move them to D:, then format my C: drive. Any ideas?

Do you have an external drive? Can BartPE backup files to another drive? I know ERD Commander can

I have an external drive, I tried transferring my files to it using Bart PE, yes, it can do it, it was doing it, but the PC freezes. I guess I can try ERD commander too, but I don't know if it will be any different.

Can you provide a link to ERD Commander ?

Thanks, I'll also give this a try.

I was also wondering, is there maybe a way that I can format my PC then recover all or most of my files? I would only consider this if it is a guarantee that i'll recover at least most of my files, if not all.

EDIT: I cannot install and burn the iso image of ERD commander to a cd because when i run the setup file in order to get the iso image to burn to the cd, it gives an error because i am using my laptop which is vista (need to be using xp windows 2003 or whatever).

So, any other ideas?

What can you say about my idea above, about the possibility of maybe formatting the PC and recovering files somehow after format (will only consider this if it is almost 100% that i'll be able to recover files)

Installing an OS on the other hard drive should work. You might need to take over ownership to get the files but other than that, it should work. Make sure to disconnect the hard drive first that way you will have a C drive instead of another drive letter. Then when XP is installed, turn the PC off, connect the hard drive and then copy over your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom