I'm worried about viruses attached to word docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I've heard that viruses can attach themselves to innocent word documents, and that these are very hard to detect. Is this true?

I am concerned because I am trying to replace a computer that recently was infested with viruses. I have tons of word documents that I want to bring over to my replacement computer, but I am concerned that some of them might be infected and the virus checker can't discover this.

I was under the impression that word macro viruses were a unique problem. But normal anti virus software can detect them?

AVG has a plug-in for M$ Office document scanning. It's an option to install during program installation.

Yeah, it scans MS Office documents as you open them. It can take a little longer to open but it's good detection. Most modern viruses, in my experience, aren't really transmitted this way anymore. Most of the ones I see are from users clicking on ads for "free virus scans" or downloading some very obviously infected piece of software and letting it run amok. Office documents aren't quite the carriers they were a few years ago.

I'm glad to hear office word docs are not that much of a threat. I have a computer that was recently disabled by viruses. Some symantec techs recently got it running again, but I don't trust that box anymore. I have tons of Word Documents that I need to save from it.

I gather you guys don't think that much of symantec and norton. I have an online account with them, which means I have to go online for them to install norton antivirus software on my new computer. That makes me really nervous, since my vista won't be patched, but they keep telling that it will be safe.

Your right about the symantec and Norton thing. We dont care for them. I would rather you spend the $$ on AVG or Avast. Much more secure.

Symantec Corporate isnt bad. I used that for a long time. But still not worth the money.

Your best bet is going to be to go through that machine that got infected with Osiris's Guide. Then get the documents off of it for transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom