How quickly can your password be cracked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I do in order to remember my passwords is wright the website down on a piece of paper, with my user and pass under it. And just like it says in Office Politics's quote; use uppercase letters mixed with lower case letters and numbers.

you could store the paper in your wallet. you prolly don't want others handling your cash. it makes sense to put your passwords there too.

My password is uncrackable by brute forcers due to what i use not being in any current form of dictionary.

According to the website it would take a million years to crack my password on a standard desktop PC.

My password has never been written down and ive never had any problems using it for any site for the past forever years. It helps i know a thing or 2 about cracking passwords.

All of my passwords include at least upper and lower case letters, a different date, numbers and acronyms. I've never tried using symbols but I will add them too. And each site that requires a password is different but based on the same principals. One of my passwords according to c0rr0sive's link, will take a desktop 633 million years to crack. Didn't type my actual password there, but a variation of it. I don't know how accurate that site is though.

I never write my passwords down either. When I come up with passwords it's only going to be something that's associated with specific events that I'll never forget, where each character represents an action.

I saw that site on the news the other night, apparently someone that words in the computer industry just wrote a simple application and it estimates based upon the length and types of digits being used, each one is a seperate variable changing the output.

It isn't perfect, but it is more of a, how difficult is your password to guess.

At my old calling center job i came across many people making passwords way to hard to remember lol. I was like people its not rocket science. Who wants to hack a call center?

i don't this this is true. Rule numero uno should be don't use a word in the dictionary.

also, I've dealt with more incidents of ppl not remembering their passwords rather than ppl having their pwd cracked.

well ok, rule number one is don't pick some silly 4 letter word as your password. But writing down the password comes in at a close second.

people not remembering their passwords isn't the end of the world, nothing bad happens except them having to prove who they are and choosing a new password.
people getting their passwords cracked can lead to identity theft, fraud, not to mention compromising the company if that person was in a high-level position.

Don't brute forcers keep going through all the possibilities for each number of characters, starting with either A or 1, and then keep going through each character, then add another character, and go through all the possible combinations of two characters, then three, and so forth, if so, wouldn't the best defense be an extremely long password such as "MyMotherToldMeToPickTheVeryBest1AndYouAreNotIt"? Btw, that is just an example of a long password. :p

Better yet a long password that does not use any words from the dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom