How quickly can your password be cracked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
How quickly can your password be cracked?

As more and more of us live more of our lives online with banking, shopping, photo galleries and social networking etc. a part of our daily lives, it becomes more and more important to have secure passwords. But there are problems in remembering complex passwords when there are so many websites you have accounts with. My tip, choose one or two super-strong passwords and change the passwords on every website you have an account with to those.

tips on creating strong passwords. Think pass phrase as opposed to password. "Spot runs fast." is complex password

Passwords must meet complexity requirements: Security Templates

Password must meet complexity requirements
Description
This security setting determines whether passwords must meet complexity requirements.

If this policy is enabled, passwords must meet the following minimum requirements when they are changed or created:

Not contain the user's entire Account Name or entire Full Name. The Account Name and Full Name are parsed for delimiters: commas, periods, dashes or hyphens, underscores, spaces, pound signs, and tabs. If any of these delimiters are found, the Account Name or Full Name are split and all sections are verified not to be included in the password. There is no check for any character or any three characters in succession.

Contain characters from three of the following five categories:

English uppercase characters (A through Z)

English lowercase characters (a through z)

Base 10 digits (0 through 9)

Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)

A catch-all category of any Unicode character that does not fall under the previous four categories. This fifth category can be regionally specific.

What I do in order to remember my passwords is wright the website down on a piece of paper, with my user and pass under it. And just like it says in Office Politics's quote; use uppercase letters mixed with lower case letters and numbers.

my TF password is 9 characters long, a mix of uppercase lowercase and numbers. To crack that, it would take about 52 years on a Q6600

Now that I think of it, as long as I don't get tricked into giving someone my password, using one of those extremely long passwords that are randomly generated could be useful as a password for all the websites I use...

my password for tf, and multiple other sites, is a brandname of something lol all lowercase, i dont really give a **** about my email, tf, and other site. Go ahead, crack it lol, my bank, steam, and a few others on the other hand is a 12 digit randomly generate code (uper case, lower case, symbols, and numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom