How do you remove a virus from another computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashur

Beta member
Hello, this is my first post here.
My name is Ashur, from Toronto, Canada.

There are hundreds and hundreds of tech and computer forums but I think this was the best one.

Anyways, to my topic and question now: I get calls every now and then from friends and relatives to fix their computers. I know a lot about computers, but not enough of course.

One common problem I am being called to fix is "virus removal"
And my question is: what is the best way to remove a virus from an infected computed, assuming they have no anti-virus progrm installed? Here are the options available to me, and I don't know if you guys know of any different way.

-Install an anti virus program on their computer
-If they are still able to access the internet, to get them online and use one of these free online virus checkers.

I am sure these is a better way!

For example, here in Canada we have Future Shop, which is our version of Best Buy. They have an offer to clean any computers of viruses. So let us say I give them my computer. Do they install an anti-virus program on it that will do the job or do they do it a different way?

I would really appreciate your answers.

ASHOOR

P.S: If I posted in the wrong section, please feel free to relocate it and let me know about the new section.

Typically if i get a call from someone who has a virus, all I need is the name of it, once you can identify what the name is, thats half the way toward resolving it. From the name you can search and get detailed info on its impact on the machne and also its removal methods.
I am a big fan of the online Trend Micro - Even if it cant remove the virus, i then have a leg to stand on because I know what the name is and therefor can search for the solution.

ashur said:

For example, here in Canada we have Future Shop, which is our version of Best Buy. They have an offer to clean any computers of viruses. So let us say I give them my computer. Do they install an anti-virus program on it that will do the job or do they do it a different way?
Sounds like they would just do a format and call your computer clean...
Go to the store and buy a program called Norton Antivirus, they have good support on their website and they do updates when a new virus is discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom