How to backup sister files

pollux401

Solid State Member
Hello TF,

My sister computer doesn't want to boot up for some odd reason. I try to do a recovery by using the window 7 cd but no luck. Is there I can attach my sister HD to my computer and copy the files? She has Window7 on her HD, which I believe would cause a problem booting 2 OS at once.

2 choices:

Option 1: Hook up the drive to your computer (either internally or through an enclosure), and boot back into your OS. You don't boot off of 2 OS's at once... only 1 gets loaded at a time. Then just open up Windows Explorer, and go through the drive and copy data to your HDD or another external HDD.

Option 2: Boot off of a Linux LiveCD on her computer, and hook an external HDD up to her computer. This will allow you to do everything from her computer, and browse / copy files from her drive to the external.

Excellent, carnagex. I will follow those steps tomorrow afternoon and let you know how it went. Thanks.

I swapped her HD into my computer but it's not reading it. I can feel and hear the drive spinning though. I believe her HD is dead....

Does Disk Management show the drive? Start > Right click Computer > Manage... > Disk Management on the left-panel.

Post a screenshot of the window if you're not sure what to look for.

You could also try the LiveCD idea as I suggested in my previous post.

If the drive was dead, you would not feel nor hear it.

Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

Make sure that her drive is assigned a drive letter and is recognized.

*Edit* ninja'd

i only see my own drive and not her's

com.jpg

okok, upload the pictures but mod has to approve =]

I made a bootable ubuntu usb drive, I ran it off the usb and tried looking for my sister hdd but still can't find her drive.

Back
Top Bottom