Help Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woohoo200

Beta member
I think my son downloaded a virus or a trojan on my desktop computer: homebuilt ecs k7s5a with athlon xp1700.

Things started disappearing on my desktop last week friday. Then the computer shut down and restarted. It got stuck during the bios check and gave me the message:

loading from boot memory log ide-0 ok

and it would just stay that way indefinitely. So I thought i would try to salvage some data from my harddrive and then wipe it clean and do a fresh install.

I took the hard drive out and put it in a usb enclosure so I could drag and drop files onto my laptop. When I turned it on to access it, I get the message: cannot access, files corrupted or something like that. So I run chkdisk f/r/ on the drive. After about an hour, i try to access it and all i can see are some text documents that I don't recognize and nothing else! Disk properties shows that half of the 40gb hardrive is used up. So I know that the data is there, but I can't see it thru win explorer.

I put the harddrive back in my desktop and try to boot up. It goes thru bios and I can barely see that "loading boot memory log" message again because the computer restarts and goes thru the bios check again. It keeps cycling and doesn't get anywhere.

I try to boot from my winxp cdrom and after I click enter it tries to boot from the cdrom for about 5 seconds and then restarts thru the bios again. So I can't even boot from a boot disk or my winxp cd.

Did a trojan or a virus mess up my bios and make it restart after a specified time? Do I have to reflash the bios? What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom