Help me remove a "word"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpedient

In Runtime
Recently i've been infected by a virus/worm (i dont know) and I scanned my computer (full scan) with mcafee antivirus... after the scan all seems normal but whenever i double click my hard drives, nothing happens, so I right clicked my hard drive to manually open it, and I found the word "auto" registered in the double click option (as you can see in the picture) how can I get that word out of my PC? LOL!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 50
In my experience I find all of the norton series a load of crap. I suggest downloading some free anti virus programs.
1) AntiVir PE Classic (free download)
2) Ad-aware (free download)

When I used Norton, I find it lets viruses through and then tells you. But these two update themselves automatically and alerts you if it hasnt updated for 3 days. Its a 24/7 protection program

Uhh... He's not using Norton... He's using McAfee...but the same thing applies to both of them: they both suck.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-165828/

Follow that guide to make sure you're entirely clean.

Then get rid of McAfee, and get AVG, AntiVir, Avast!, or Nod32 (I prefer Nod32 even though its a paid program, but AVG is one of the best free ones out there).

Couple other antispy programs I'd suggest are: Spyware Blaster, and Spyware Terminator, along with the tools listed in Osiris's guide.

@Mark LOL anyways ty!

@carnage will do that tomorrow morning, its 0300 and I'm dizzy!

Will reply with the result! =)

i've done everything but nothing seems to get that word out of my computer... hmmm... my last resort is to reformat, it's just annoying that when you double-clicked the hard drive, nothin comes out... hmm... any other suggestions before i reformat?

oh, and by the way, i used AVG for scanning...

I would suggest then to use all of those programs listed above, one of them HAS to work. if not reformat my friend.

When you click on Auto, does it come up with a list of programs to open it with?
If so, I had the same problem.

Download TweakUI from Microsoft, here

Install it, go to your run command (WIN+R) and type in TweakUI, then on the side has a list of links.
Click on 'My Computer' --> 'Autoplay' --> 'Drives'
then uncheck the boxes you don't want to have Autoplay on.
Ignore the drives with a red question mark -- It means you don't have them on your PC at present.

Hope that works :)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

go to those locations in the registry and look for 'word', not sure if this is the location but the reg entry above when added puts 'copy to move to' on your right click.

Uhh... He's not using Norton... He's using McAfee...but the same thing applies to both of them: they both suck.

Lol... How right you are....

Careful when intering the registry... I have to go there all the time "Start/Run/Regedit" to remove things from my right click menu... I used to to manually remove viruses but I haven't got one in years... except for one that infected my Boot.ini file, but that's an easy fix. Osiris, I have been watching and he knows what he's doing. He should bring you right through this.. be careful though if your new to this sort of thing.

If your question isn't answered I will tell you how to get rid of it once I return to my house. It is surprisingly really simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom