Help-I think I've been hacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randi

Beta member
For the past few days things have not been right in regards to my main computer. The My Documents file in drive C is empty and nothing runs the same way-shortcuts don't work anymore and Windows media player is just gone!

How can I find out what happened to it? How difficult would it be to replace the motherboard and processor in it(Sony Vaio Pentium 4)?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
Randi

Thanks for responding. I can't access much of anything on that pc today. I can't reset my desktop, IE homepage, or secondary pages off of websites. I cant open games I have had for years. I tried to go to download the 13 files but it wont let me. Sometimes when I am online with it pages just sit and change from one to another very fast so I am forced to close them or shut down completely.

I can't find my system restore discs either. I am in a mess today.

Randi

Sounds like a pickle, chances are there are adverse registry entries, some of your start routines may be disabled as well, try using task manager to access programs if the main directory is blank, check to see if your services settings have not been changed, I have seen these things happen often due to bad third party software and malicious applications.

Failing that, you should go through the full maintenance and virus checking of your system.

Sorry for taking so long to get back onto this post. I wound up taking the pc to the Geek squad to be repaired as I couldn't get it to do anything. They found many instances of malware and viruses. In the process, they deleted lots of files and several programs I have had for years-I guess I'll learn to live without them. Thanks to all who responded to my plea.

Randi

They kept the machine for almost a month. The reason given was the computer kept crashing on them. They deleted lots of document files, pictures, music files, and WWII fighters that I loved to play. I had to reinstall Itunes and many of the files in there. All my personal settings changed, defaults changed, and now it is very slow to boot up and open files. Also the hard drive (I am assuming it is 'C') makes a loud buzzing noise when it is cold and the noise stops or diminishes somewhat if you bump it. After a few minutes the noise just goes away.

I have been reading up on ways to speed up the process and looked at eliminating some of the programs that start automatically at startup. How are we supposed to know what needs to be there or not be?

Thanks,
Randi

I havent been able to find out what is all of that on the startup list but I added 1 GB of RAM and it is much faster now with 1.5 GB.

Now if I can only find the discs for the programs deleted that I need now. Thanks for the info.

Randi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom