Help with AVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpecial

Baseband Member
Hello, I am using the free version of the AVG Anti-Virus. And I have a question about it. I hear that it's gotta be the best free anti-virus program, but I am having trouble getting it to detect viruses. I do not see how my computer could be virus free, but AVG never detects any virused. I run Ad-Aware and 2 spyware programs, both which are free(only one finds viruses....), and I appear to be clean. But, everytime I e-mail my friend, he's always saying how I'm sending him viruses. I am curious to know, is it possible that I'm so infected, that not even my protection agents are working? Or am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

You get what you pay for....usually.

Try Trendmicro's Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/). It is a free online one-shop virus scan, and it is very good.

You may want to try the free trial of eTrust antivirus from Computer Associates (http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Collateral.asp?CID=39914). It says 30 day free trial, but I was told that they are giving a whole year again. I use Computer Associates ezArmor suite...it needs to be renewed, but that has to wait until payday...

AdAware and other anti-spyware programs do not and cannot help you with viruses. Apples and oranges, my friend. Learn the difference between the two now, because it can really hit you hard later when you lose your entire hard drive.

Ok, thanks I will try them.

As for spyware/adware, I know they different, just though they might have some connection with my anti-virus program, guess not. I knew the difference, and my hard drive still seems to crash....as it's already done twice before :mad:

Twice? Owch!

Hey, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were dumb or anything. But I have found that most people who are fairly new to computers tend to confuse the two. Better safe than sorry, and all.

Good luck!

Even the paid ones aren't perfect, read this: Virus Bulletin It will give you the latest compairson of all the virus software out there. IF you want the BEST one, use NOD32. NOD32 ANTIVIRUS Check it out by vendor, It has 30 psses and 3 fails compared to some of the others. Liz

I use AVG, and it found Mkar K virus on my computer yesterday, it infects exe files. I use the free version, and works fine for me:)

First thing is first, find out exactly what virus your friend says that you keep sending him. Look up the supposed virus on Symantecs web site and follow their directions only if you can confirm you indeed have the virus your friend says you have. Is he the only person that says they get a virus from you? If he is the only one then odds are he is misinformed and needs to better protect his own PC.

As for yur hard drive crashing that could be a myriad of things totally unrelated to a virus. Again, ask your friend for the exact virus and follow up from there. Post a response and let us know of any progress or new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom