Heeeeelp! (No HJT log b/c cant get to that part)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was pretty sure that wouldnt work (else would've tried it earlier) however tried it anyway, and the other keyboard works! im v surprised.

now doing the windows xp repair. will get back. thanks so much for the help.

you mentioned other serial port? i thought theres only one for keyboard and one for mouse. maybe things are different in newer computers. mine is quite old.

OK so the steps in repairing windows is happening right now. ive exchanged keyboards and interestingly enough both are working. i suppose it just wasnt plugged in properly, however i did jiggle it a few times to make sure it was. for future i suppose the lesson is to take it out then put it back in.

i wanted to mention, i booted up in ubuntu earlier. from there i accessed its version of windows explorer, but i couldnt access my C or E drives at all. i forget the message but it seemed something had been corrupted. eek!

lets see how this installation works and then negotiate further problems.

OK so did the repair thing in option 5 of the guide you attached earlier.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

thats done. but still having problems. it seems theres an endless loop of restarting happening. it starts up normally (btw at the screen where one usually presses F8 to enter safe mode, ie the second screen which loads after turning on the computer, this screen stays there for abnormally long, and the processing sounds much louder). before i repaired i would get to the screen where it used to ask me which account i wanted to use for XP, doesnt get that far anymore. at some point it automatically restarts.

i pressed F8 once, got to the screen where i could choose safe mode (i couldnt access that before the repair) but once selected that it tried to load it but couldnt, at some point it restarted. tried again, this time safe mode w/ command prompt, same as earlier result.

whats next?

btw is there some way to just get the cmd prompt, or something else so i can just see if i hard disk and data are still intact?

[Post being Updated]

this time i went to reinstall / repair, then exited. it showed me the space i have available on my hard disk, ~100 MB on C and 4 gigs on E:.

i tried creating a new partition on my E so i could run windows from there and see if i can do something. it then spent some time copying files from windows CD to somewhere, however i dont know wherre. it then started installing but said will take 40 mins, so i guess was actually installing. however i wasnt sure if it was actually installing to E not C and i really dont wanna lose my data. in fact i dont want to lose any data on E either, i just want to install XP on the 4 gigs i have free on E. is there some way to make sure of that?

FYI im on linux on my computer right now, opened explorer.

i see C, D, E, and File System. I dont know whether File System is just something thats shown on Linux Explorer or is that the new thing I created? File SYstem has 21 folders and 1 file named vmlinuz.

when i click C or E it says

Unable to Mount Selected Volume
error: device / dev / hda1 isnt removable
error: could not execute pmount

Any ideas?

Basically I just want to be able to install XP on the 4 gigs left on E:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom