Heeeeelp! (No HJT log b/c cant get to that part)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I'm recovering from some problems a few days ago, I believe it was virus / spyware related. Today I believe I got another virus (not 100% sure but it seems that way). The computer was giving some problems, I tried restarting in Safe Mode but it said something about not recognizing memory address and just quit and seemed to shut off. However the lights on the computer stayed on, and it just restarted somehow. Let it try to boot up normally this time, again it said something about not recognizing a memory address and shut off. Shoot this is bad! Can anyone advise?

Also my dad was complaining that his computer is slow, and we happen to use the same DSL connection, ie we're both connected to a modem which is connected to the net. Could it be my computer has infected his somehow or I dont have to worry about that?

thx
Dan

EDIT - sorry must've not started it in safe mode, i pressed F8 but i guess that didnt happen. I'm realizing that now b/c I tried to do safe mode again, and the option just wasnt there!! There were 3 options but all related to starting Windows normally.

If you can't do anything on this pc, I'd say reinstall or repair.

Yes you can infect the other pc. The spyware will boadcast the network looking for other computers to infect, taking up bandwidth as well.

OK so what's my next step?

If its not recognizing memory address I dont know where to go from there.

I cant think of which screen to goto to start a reinstall. Are you talking about just reinstalling windows, or other stuff as well?

Btw if I reinstall windows will I lose all my data? Is there any way to access it?

What can I do to protect the other computers?

that seems to have been the best bet so far. unfortunately another problem!

when i booted w/ the XP cd in it, it seemed to recognize it, said press any key to boot from cd. however when i pressed the keys it didnt seem to recognize the input.

the keyboard is indeed connected.

naw its ps2. and i cant access the bios either, when i press delete in the beginning it doesnt work :(

i have a starter cd for ubuntu linux. just put that in the cd drive. it went to ubuntu screen said press something to start it. again keyboard wasnt responding. this is getting strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom