Have you heard of any recent viruses do this

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
My father had a older Pentium D that he stopped being able to get online with, Was doing weird things with the built in Ethernet, Could see the home network but couldn't get to the internet so I installed another Ethernet I had on hand and it worked until reboot then stopped working. Every time I switched from one to the other it worked for a very short time then stopped and finally the built in one disappeared and the PC couldn't see it. So I built him a new one figuring the thing was old and hardware was dropping like flies so I ordered up a I5 for him and reused the hard drive since that was upgraded to a seta not too long ago and Kept the old info with win XP there so he could recover his files. Now he has win 7 64 bit and all was running well until he called me saying his DVD stopped working??? It was from the old system so I just ordered a new one and tonight I installed it and the new one doesn't work and I even got one I know works from my system and tried it and all 3 of them are saying the device driver is disabled. One IDE and 2 seta drives so there is something disabling the drives now. And he said when he noticed not working he had gone into the old winXP folder to get his files and put them in the now folders. So I'm thinking a virus was the culprit and now has attacked the win 7 but disabling the DVD instead of the Ethernet. AVG and Norton along with a few others that don't detect anything. Hoping to find a fix so I don't have to do a full format. Might try to install my extra hard drive to see if it all works on that so I can confirm the hardware is good. But if any of this sounds like a virus you know of let me know and I'll just have to break it to dad his files are deadly and have to go.

hi,
i've heard of viruses disabling things yeah but not en-mass lol.

first narrow down if it is a virus, have you tried running in safemode? safemode is good because it wont load a virus on boot, it'll only load the essentials.

maybe do another install, takes what 20 minutes? :p though if things keep disabling i think mobo issue.
but thats for later if it turns out not to be a virus plus you say a new I5 is installed, so were the only thing you reused the drives? did you reuse the same power supply?

thats the problem with parents, they hear about viruses but still click on everything :p

I don't think it's a virus purely because if it effected the ethernet the first time, and now effects the dvd drive, that doesn't really make sense. Viruses don't have minds of their own, they do what they're programmed to do, and unless the virus is programmed with a random value generator and that's the driver it picks to disable. Overall that seems like a waste of programming hours.

but if everything worked up until he started to move xp files over then it might be a virus! If you have the time I'd take a quick look through the files he moved over and see if there's anything wonky in there provided that they're like pics or documents, not program files, those would take way too long..

Maybe the virus is set to attack and IRQ instead of a specific piece of hardware? Maybe the old machines the IRQ for the ethernet are the same as the IRQ of the DVD Drive now? While a very, very long shot it is a possibility. I would look into scanning with Combofix and MBAM. Maybe even throw in some Super Antispyware and Spybot as well for good measure.

I've run mbam and spy bot, going to put my extra hd in tonight and install windows there to make sure it's not hardware related, although I'm pretty sure it's not, one DVD is IDE and the other two are SETA so different connection points, in device manager it says the device driver is disabled with no options to enable it. So something is disabling them

It doesnt matter if it is IDE, SATA or connected via a parallel port when it comes to IRQ. That is something within the OS and it is the Request Que for how things are done within the PC from the specific hardware. No one knows or even pays attention to this term anymore cause it is all done automatically now. But if anyone ever used Windows 95/98 before, then they know all about it cause you had to setup the IRQ yourself.

So yet again I state that it can be this. Just dont copy the files over. That is when the problem started so there is most certainly something infecting those files. Installing Windows on another drive will resolve the issue cause you already said that the system was fine till the files were copied over. So naturally installing Windows again and not having the infected files on there will not result in the same issues.

You have to scan the old drive and find out where the infection is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom