Have I been hacked?

Nianov

Solid State Member
For the past couple of weeks my laptop has been acting up. Whenever I'd boot it up, all of my accounts (Email, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) were logged out every time, my Netflix password was actually changed. It's been running very slowly too. I have a simple router and modem and I use Wifi and only a few other people in the house use it. I have good knowledge about computers but barely any on security, firewall etc. The data my laptop receives from the connection is off the charts compared to the data sent; after being connected to my Wifi for roughly 5 hours the data sent is about 107,000,000, and the data received is around 4,000,000,000. I'm currently running Windows 7, and my firewall is working fine as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

that sounds pretty bad. you might seriously compromised if u can do a fresh re install of windows and then change all ur pass for ur email and such. if you change em now and someone is seeing what u do wont do u any good. you could also have a virus either way a fresh wipe would be good if is possible for you to do so.

How would I do that? Does that involve erasing all of my hard drive's contents? Should I back up important documents to a disc then re-install them afterwards? A step by step would be appreciated. I'd rather not lose anything important so It'd be great if I knew everything I needed to do in order to fix this mess without losing everything.

you can try running a full scan with your anti virus and see but wen ut pc get to a point thats slow and such due to an infection is best to just wipe re install windows. also your laptop should have a factory restore function that will wipe and set like u just got from the store.
you should backup backup all important documents and such b4 you do that. post what make and model the laptop is and ill see if i can find out more wen i get back i have to go to work.

Or instead of wiping your OS, run through some scans:

Download MBAM and update it. Then download TDSSKiller, and HiJackThis.

Boot into Safe Mode and run a quick scan. If it finds anything, remove it and reboot back into Safe Mode. Run TDSSKiller (should only take a few minutes). After that, run HiJackThis and post the log here.

Also check msconfig to see if anything on Startup is running that looks odd.

What AV do you currently use?

try what carnageX posted. i keep everything in separate hard drives is why wiping is no issue for me since everything is already backed up.

I tried wiping my computer but I made it worse I'm starting to get ****ed. I always have to start at the HP Recovery Manager, but no option I choose ever works. When I choose System Recovery or Minimized Image Recovery it always ends up telling me "Restoration Incomplete" and I keep backing up whatever file it says on a flash drive to continue but it always leads me back to starting over at the HP Recovery Manager. Only other option I could really try is System Restore but it says there isn't an earlier restore date. My computer is pretty much just a blank slate since I can't do anything with it, all I can do is screw around with the recovery manager after it boots up.

Any advice? There has to be something I can do from the Recovery Manager to set it back up. It keeps telling me "restoration incomplete." What if I don't want anything restored? Can't I just start over with a new user? When It gives me option of going back to the default setting I assumed that meant it'd be like starting up a brand new computer. I don't care about restoring any files, programs or users, I just need the damn thing to work. What should I do?

can you provide pics of what u doing and seeing on the screen? that way i know exactly what im looking at.

Back
Top Bottom