Good FREE Anti-virus/spy-ware reccomendations for WinXP/2003/Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishPaul

Banned
I have a few systems that i'm playing around WinXP, Win2003 as well as Vista. I'm interested in hearing what people use for a FREE "protection system" on their systems - what kind of software do you use to protect your system? I'm referring to anti-virus, spyware, malware and other security tools.

I will/do have:
  • A Win2003 R2 server (web/dev) at a datacenter behind a Watchguard SOHO firewall
  • A home WinXP pro workstation
  • And a Vista Business Laptop

I've tried out AVG, Avast and ClamWin for antivirus, and i like what each has to offer. The only anti-spyware software that i've had my hands on is Lavasoft's Ad-Aware.

1. Does anyone out there have a live server(win2003) that's using a good free anti-virus and anti-spyware software? I've been using ClamWin for this OS since it works with 2003.
  2. What about XP?
  3. Vista?
  4. What other security software would you recommend? For example i'm aware of MBSA (microsoft baseline security analyzer). What other security tools are available?

I'd be interested in hearing from people that use such tools at home and at work but especially as live production environments (web servers etc, business etc, tech support...)

Thank you,
PolishPaul

I've tried out a good number of programs that run on both XP and Vista here. AVG is about top for a free version as far as antivirus and even catching trojans and trojan downloaders at times.

Currently the latest version of Ad-Aware 2007 is on both versions. But another freeware recently appearing that catches what Ad-Aware misses is called the Spyware Terminator. That one includes a mild firewall in it. Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator

For the best pair of freeware type firewalls Commodo and Jetico personal firewall are generally the best rated. The MS firewall is poorly rated on the other hand as well as the Windows Defender in comparison to the above named programs.

Besides a free antivirus program found in AVG 7.5 Grisoft also has other free versions and special virus removers available. There's also an AVG rootkit tool and a free IE Protection utility found at AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation

The one thing to know is that no one or combination of programs ever guarantees 100% protection. Someone is always writing a new virus like an I-Worm type or some new trojan or trojan downloader is seen. Smart browsing can be the big help in keeping things off in the first place.

AVAST! free version works very well with Vista Home Premium. I loaded the free version on my daughters laptop that runs Vista and I was impressed with a) detection rate, b) decent updating, and c) resource demand is low.

WIN AntiVIR and Kaspersky also seem to run well on Vista. Kaspersky fairs better then Avast according to many that have used that program. But the remaining question is will any of these run well on the Windows Server 2003 edition? since they are known for seeing good results on XP and Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom