Good Anti-Virus Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it would have to be a commercial package, i.e. Norton or Kaspersky. But if you only intend to do general surfing with no peer 2 peer, Bit torrent etc. a freebie will do ok, AVG, Avast...

I recommend firefox with autoupdates, a good firewall, and good downloading judgment. While using Windows, I occasionally check my registry, startup programs, services, running processes, and file creation times, especially before I reboot my computer. I also only run my new programs in virtual machines before running it on my live box.

AntiVirus software is like hiring a doctor to be next to you at all times in the event you "slip up" and get into an accident, and the doctor won't always be completely capable of helping, so its such a high cost for nothing!

But people who aren't skilled in first aid will probably like having the overkill.

By the way, antivirus programs are a great target for hackers and virus writers because hijacking an antivirus app ensures that the virus can be undetectable and perform network tasks without causing suspicion. :crazy:

I recommend firefox with autoupdates, a good firewall, and good downloading judgment.

Web Browsers are also a frequently targeted.

NiGHTS said:
AntiVirus software is like hiring a doctor to be next to you at all times in the event you "slip up" and get into an accident, and the doctor won't always be completely capable of helping, so its such a high cost for nothing!

high cost for nothing?? Microsoft Security Essentials is FREE. As for the "nothing", nothing is nothing, and using an Anti-Virus program is better than using nothing, which is what it sounds like your recommending. Using nothing.

NiGHTS said:
But people who aren't skilled in first aid will probably like having the overkill.

And people who aren't skilled in computers often give bad advice.

NiGHTS said:
By the way, antivirus programs are a great target for hackers and virus writers because hijacking an antivirus app ensures that the virus can be undetectable and perform network tasks without causing suspicion. :crazy:

Operating Systems, Web Browsers and numerous other programs are also great targets for hackers and virus writers. But the best targets are the totally unprotected.

In response to Slaymate, I don't question your experience one bit, and I understand your frustration at advice in which may appear to invite more attacks than not. Perhaps its equivalent to belonging to a neighborhood known for its break-in's for many years and then a newcommer comes around giving advice to another newcommer saying that the best defense to home invasion is keeping your door wide open all day and night. Well, I assure you that this isn't the case.

As for web browsers being a frequent target, I am highly aware of this as I create plugins for firefox and created specialized "viruses" for Internet Explorer a few years ago in order to help identify the characteristics of another virus in its grip. While no web browser is currently unhackable, the immediate danger to the system on regular use remains statistically impossible with regular updates, especially to the concrete concepts behind firefox and its highly active community.

As for my use of the word "cost", I was never talking about money, I thought that was clear from context but I guess it was not. I was talking about its undeniable impact on system resources. Not to underestimate the success of Microsoft's Security Essentials suite, but I find it kinda funny that you would hire the same company to protect your computer as the one that created the security holes in the first place. Now, I know of course there are distinctly different programmers on the job, but they are all held to the same standards of employment and oversight.

On a final note, anything can be hacked. As myself a virus writer (good viruses, not bad), a hacker (hardware and software, very rarely network), and cracker (my own software and databases, i swear! :cool:), I can assure you of this fact. I can also assure you that your chances of being attacked by a virus with the right level of network protection from a firewall and using the right well tested network software with frequent stable updates will be more than enough for well educated users.

But knowing regular users by being in the I.T. world for longer than I would have liked, I know that they unknowingly invite viruses by making "rookie mistakes" on the net.

So to the analogy I made earlier that you are upset, being a long time resident of your neighborhood, at my shocking and apparently ill advised advice as a newcommer, you may be right after all. But I'd hate too see someone try to walk into my opened front door one night... I hope the dead cats at the doorstep is enough of an early warning for them. :sweat:

My problem isn't with your knowledge and ability to protect yourself. It's with recommending your practices to others when you have no idea what their knowledge is. For the vast majority of PC users in this world your advice is like PC Suicide.

While I think your knowledge and advice may be very useful in the future, you need to get familiar with who is a regular and who is a newbie. And then give advice based on what is good for them, not on whats good for you.

While I think your knowledge and advice may be very useful in the future, you need to get familiar with who is a regular and who is a newbie. And then give advice based on what is good for them, not on whats good for you.

I'll be honest with you, i've made this mistake quite a few times, recommending to some of my clients to use nothing at all, only for me to have to clean up their mess later. So with that I will concede your argument and forthcoming adjudicate my advice on the basis of the experience of my audience. Furthermore, I will retract my initial argument as invalid based on faulty context. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom