Friend has a strange issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFish

Solid State Member
My friend has a problem where the computer boots up into xp and it loads two dos windows with ntvdm.exe for some reason. Then a window shows up about symantic corporation file missing and then the computer reboots on its own. I went into safe mode and installed mcafee virus scan and cleaned plenty of trojans. However these files caught my eye. Both were viruses I believe. I deleted them.

ctfmon.exe <-virused
0ef0.exe <-virus.

However after doing all this cleanup the problem still rises. I also had the liveupdate and livereg uninstalled from the comp.

The messages the prompts show before it reboots are something like

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Windows\MC-10~1.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\symantec\s32EVNT1.DLL device failed

Which reminds me, for some reason the start menu wont show up in safe mode upon boot.

You should be careful what you delete, ctfmon.exe is a file used by MS Office, although it can be a source of virus infection. Its also not good having two AV like McAfee and Norton on one machine. I'd remove Norton and McAfee, then if you want to reinstall one of them. Norton can be a pain to uninstall so use SymNRT.exe from Symantec, the link also gives you instructions of remove registry entries left behind using Rnav2003.exe again from Symantec. After that get Hijack This and post a log in the HijackThis Analyze section. Someone will help you out them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom