Free antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmspencer

Beta member
This is definitely my first post and the sole reason I joined is to ask about the effectiveness of free antivirus software. My kaspersky is up for renewal and I definitely do not feel like paying $60 to renew it. I'm currently working on a laptop with Core 2 Duo (2.00) GHz, 4 GB ram, and 64-bit (Vista) processor. I have also just purchased an i7 920 (2.66 GHz), 9 GB Ram, and 64 bit (Vista) processor. I'm afraid of putting something too cheap on my new PC as well as my old laptop. I have been suggested to pick up clamwin, spybot, and windows defender. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My first choice would be Microsoft Security Essentials.
followed by AVG and Avast.

All 3 are great and free. Find the one that works best for you.

This is definitely my first post and the sole reason I joined is to ask about the effectiveness of free antivirus software. My kaspersky is up for renewal and I definitely do not feel like paying $60 to renew it. I'm currently working on a laptop with Core 2 Duo (2.00) GHz, 4 GB ram, and 64-bit (Vista) processor. I have also just purchased an i7 920 (2.66 GHz), 9 GB Ram, and 64 bit (Vista) processor. I'm afraid of putting something too cheap on my new PC as well as my old laptop. I have been suggested to pick up clamwin, spybot, and windows defender. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I use Avast. I like it, it's free and I can't say I've ever gotten a bug. It runs quietly in the background, doesn't take up a lot of memory and updates on its own. I'd recommend it :wink:

I left ESET to try MS Security Essentials in beta and have never looked back. It is a great program and offers real-time protection. MSE was one of the few to actually earn a good rating on cleaning up infections, as well as a very good for prevention. Neither AVG or Avast did that, nor did the vast majority of the paid Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom