Fake windows restore virus?

It is not a virus. It is called scareware.

What is its exact name? Try Googling it for a guide; I've had to do that for a few of late. bleepingcomputer.com usually has some really good instructions. Be sure to follow ALL of the instructions and do so to the letter.

As a rule of thumb you will need rkill and Malwarebytes AntiMalware (and an update of its definitions). You can get both from majorgeeks.com, and BleepingComputer will have links for the programs themselves. BleepingComputer will also have links to any other programs you will need, such as Unhide.

Yeah. The name is gives on the program window(s) that pop up. I have tangled with WindowsRepair of late (on someone else's computer).

Its called Windows Recovery, Its listed on malwarebyte's forum, on how to remove it, but it doesnt work, we have tryed rKILL along with malwarebytes and it is still on the pc

I have hit this one before. Use this guide and follow it completely. WindowsRecovery also hides all you icons, programs, and files so it will require additional steps beyond rkill and MBAM.

It is also wise to to turn system restore off if you are able to as these things tend to like leaving pieces of themselves in the system restore files so they can re-install on reboot. If possible make sure you have the most recent Windows Updates, especially the Malicious Software Removal Tool. The boyfriend got something similar on his computer and the update got it off of there. Of course I ran a full battery of scans to make sure it was all gone. Malware Bytes and Super Anti-spyware are the two main ones we use here at work and they do get most things.

Back
Top Bottom