DATA drive not able to be accessed

Status
Not open for further replies.

goku2100

Baseband Member
Data drive asking to be formatted...

I have norton antivirus 2003 installed on my system with the latest updates but have suspected for a while my system had a virus. The reason why I have suspected is because norton wouldn't run antivirus scans or acted funny in different ways. So one day I turn off my machine because I need to work on some one elses drive which I don't know if it too has a virus or not because it too has norton with latest definitions. So I boot with the drive as a slave and try out some recovery options and realize I can work on the drive fine.
So I insert my old drive back into the machine (I have a removable drive bay) and all of a sudden the drive is blank. Well I recently purchased a 160GB drive for this purpose of fixing the other drive which seems to be suffering the same problem as my drive is suffering. So I backup all my files to the new 160GB drive and restart the machine to do some tests on my old drive to see if it's dead or not. I test my old drive and decide to format it because it's working.

I then turn on my machine agian but this time the drive I backed up all my information from the old drive is now suffering the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as the original drive. So now I'm thinking that my drive is infected with a virus that ONLY attacks the data drives and have no idea what to do. Any ideas?
Thanks

Cliffnotes:
1. Insert Drive from broken computer where data partition is asked to be formatted but operating system is fine.
2. In process of adding drive from broken computer, I remove dedicated data drive (80GB) from computer from removeable bay.
3. Check to see if I can access data from defective drive with special software (data recovery)
4. remove defective drive from computer and reinsert dedicated data drive
5. dedicated data drive is unacessable and asked to be formatted
6. transfer data from dedicated drive to a new 160GB drive,
7. restart computer to check to see if data drive is failing but isn't
8. computer boots into windows and now the 160GB drive with my data on it is asked to be formatted as well.

Does this help? I think the filetable is infected with a virus/first 63 sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom