Damn thing keep sticking around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyvie

Beta member
Hiya! Hate to be a pain, but this is something I can't fix.

My pooter decided to go kapootsky on me the other day - crashing, Windows booting up one time, crashing, then not booting a few times, then coming up again... Seems to be no real rhyme nor reason. Reinstalled Windows, was great till I'd just gotten everything else reinstalled.... and then off it went again. It'd keep telling me that certain system files were missing, and then more... Pottered around in MSDos a bit to see if I could see anything blatant, and everything was on-and-off in gibberish instead of the usual filenames.

Now, figuring I had a virus, I've since formatted, and had the same problem, and tried running a full system scan with Nortons(which finished just before the whole thing went dead last time), and came up with nothing. I've tried installing Windows on my other physical drive, and while I don't seem to be getting the gobbledygook, it's still crashing like a wet llama.

Now, I figure if I can get it to net access before it dies again, I'll check out all the online scans mentioned elsewhere, and my only other alternative is to format both drives (yes, I know formatting one and not the other seems kinda silly, but one of my cdroms is a bit touchy, and the other is scsi, which means installing Windows from cd is almost impossible). My only other thought is to format, then stick my drive into someone else's computer and stick the files on it, and hope that it doesn't infect them too (and given that I don't know any techies at the moment, I don't think anyone else would be sutiably protected).

So, yeah, although I feel pretty guilty just jumping on here and saying "Hey! Help me!" - that's exactly what I'm gonna do. :p Hey, help me!

I'm guessin' it's some sort of virus thing going (even though the initial hard drive thing seems a bit like failure), but I haven't had much experience with anything Nortons (or ZA, spyware proggies, and whatever else) couldn't ditch.

So, yeah... ta!

Whoops - sorry!

Running Win 98 SE (or trying to), on an old p3 500 with 196 megs ram. Can get to Dos no probs (although now my deltree command is screwed up - don't ask me how that works!).

Tried reinstalling to my d: with c: hidden in the bios, and it all goes swimmingly till it tries to load up the first time, then I get a blue screen of death. Gonna try again to my c: later to see if I can get to those scans. Only so much I can handle at once!

Ta again!

That is MOST of your problem right there.
Win 98 SE (or trying to), on an old p3 500 with 196 megs ram.

Windows 98 takes a MIN of 16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended). And Norton takes 32 MB of RAM for MINIMUM installation. And can take more. That doesn't include anything else you have running. I bet if you looked at all your programs running at the same time, you would actually be amazed at what little memory you actually have left. Liz

*blink blink*

'Kaaaay.... I don't really see what having a small-by-todays-standards amount of memory has to do with anything. The system had 64megs when I bought it, and still ran fine. The computer I had before that only had 16 (does anyone remember that?), and yet ran everything I wanted at the time, as does my system now. I don't see how a system that runs just about perfect for four or five years is expected to just up and choke because I'm trying to reinstall Windows yet again.

Gees, talk about your power user! I can run Nortons, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and a few other little apps with no major hassle (or could) - yet you're trying to tell me that the whole reason my harddrive is speaking gobbledygook is because of ram?

*shrug* Ah well. Thanks for your attempt at aid. I guess I'll just have to go fork out to an idiot tech who tries to treat me like I haven't got a clue about computers, and charges me through the nose for something that's probably very easy, but I just haven't come across it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom