Could I have a Virus/other problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
I am posting from my 5 year old backup computer. My other computer is currently frozen. It has been freezing a lot recently. Random applications I have never heard of report that they are \"not responding and need to close.\" I am wondering if it could have a problem. It is a family computer with the following frequent uses: World of Warcraft, IM, Internet Explorer, Opera, iTunes, last.fm audioscrobbler, Azureus, MS Word, MS Paint, and I\'m probably forgetting some. As you can see it is not heavy use, save for WoW which is heavy considering the computer is only onboard video [we are upgrading soon though!]. Although I do multi-task but I\'m sure it can\'t be too hard on the computer.

Specs:
Gateway computer
AMD 64 X2 4200+ with AMD LIVE! (Does anybody even know what AMD LIVE! does? Because apparantly AMD does not know, just go to their website and see)
2 GB RAM
320 GB HDD with 20? GB \"backup partition\" [it came like that]

Other programs:
AVG Free
ZoneAlarm
Ad-Aware every once in a while
Spybot S&D every once in a while

The computer froze on me twice within the course of 2 hour. I was using Opera, iTunes, Azureus, and MS Paint. It should be noted that when I first got to the computer I updated ZoneAlarm. Normally the computer only freezes about once a week or so. Could it be ZoneAlarm?

Also, the computer usually reports that \"an application is not responding and needs to close\" about something called TrueVector Service. I have never heard of TrueVector and this is what caused me to think that it may be a virus of some sort.

What other information do you need?

P.S. I come to this site and it said I am banned. Why was I banned? I barely even come here, just for support and I once asked questions about building a PC.

If your computer is continually freezing, some possible causes are corrupt operating system, bad hd, or virus. I would say that its probably a hard drive problem. Try running a error check(or disk check) and defrag on the drive.

I am posting from the possibly-infected computer, without a proxy this time.

About hijackthis: I remember reading that this program is only for highly advanced users, that it can cause [further] damage to your computer if you don't use it correctly. Therefore I have stayed away from that program, as I have never had any serious problem that required its use. What should I do?

As for the ban, I think I know the cause. You see I was in a hurry because I got scared of TrueVectorService and I thought it could be like a rootkit or something. I am cautious in my downloading and the only risky things I download are torrents from trustable sites such as demonoid. But this is a family computer so that is why I am worried. Anyway, in the rush to post quickly, I forgot that I had an account here. I was going to post on another forum that I didn't have an account at, and I got the two confused so I tried to log in on that forum and I tried to use an account from BugMeNot here. I assume I was auto-banned for logging into a communal account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom