confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_bo

Daemon Poster
whats the difference between spyware and trojans. trojans is spyware isnt it? just confused from a site i read.

Trojans are usually installed disguised as another program, they can steal information such as passwords or CONTROL CERTAIN ASPECTS of your computer without your knowledge.

Many trojans are not detected by Anti-virus programs so its important to have a scanner for trojans as well, the best two are AVG antispyware and a squared free.

Spyware can also install disguised as a program (toolbars, etc) or a piece of a program and can steal passwords as well, but as far as I now cannot control your pc but can monitor it. Adaware is tracking cookies that monitor you and trigger adds and are less malicious than serious spyware/trojans.

In short, very similar but I'd say a trojan is more dangerous for reasons stated above. Keep windows updated, only download from trusted sources, and periodically run your AV, trojan & spyware scanners and everything should be taken care of.

wow...I didn't know that.

Good thing, I have both AVG and Ad-Aware to keep my system clean.

$opening = "::wavewave::";

echo = "
Kasperksy is not free, but it can be if you cheat the program a little. Uninstall it, and reinstall it every 30 days and such. AVG is great, but not nearly as good as it used to be. I still rank it higher than most others out there. A very good free anti virus would be Avast. Catches more than most, and has a boot time scan with is very nice. Can't rely on just one AV though. I don't suggest installing more than one on a computer, but you can go to websites and run a free online scan. Usually they are not manipulated by installed programs, and so have a chance to catch more mal-ware.

A few good ones are:
AntiVirus - AntiSpam - Firewall Software, Data Security, Free Protection
www.housecall.trendmicro.com

Several others, just find the ones you like, and run them every so often.";

So Avast would be a better free anti-virus software, than AVG? I'll give it a try.

wel it anit my computer, i use to think avg was good until i had kaperskry, it found 101 infected and Avg only found 1 tht was kernal32 tht got changed as it was system file. so you try and see whihc is better, your choice?

if you don't update the program any av scanner is useless, did you have updated definitions for avg? what do you mean by 'infected'? Trojans and spyware or viruses?

whatever you believe to be the best virus scanner, a lot of trojans can get through any av scanner, just like spyware, and not one scanner will catch everything.

Avg, avast, kapersky, nod32, all are fine, I have used tons of different scanners & like how avg can be configured to use no resources and still do periodic scans, avast is good too and does seem to detect trojans better than most but I wouldn't trust it alone, security experts do not agree on a single best scanner, but say have multiple layers of protection, keep windows updated, and don't download from sources you do not trust or open emails from sources you don't trust.....thats how you get serious malware.

having avg and adaware is good but you should still periodically update &scan with something like a squared to make sure avg doesn't miss any trojans or adaware miss any spyware.

Two huge security misconceptions are that you constantly need real time virus/spyware protection (unless you constantly surf pron and download from unreliable sources), and secondly that you need the worlds best av program (even though nobody agrees on one) and that your going to be malware free and the super duper av program will catch anything you throw at it. Which is why I laugh when I see all these posts & reviews saying 'the only security program you need', 'catches anything you throw at it' (point being you DON'T KNOW what you scanner is not catching), etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom