Conficker worm back with a vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Conficker worm back with a vengeance

Cybercriminals behind the widespread Conficker worm have released a new version of the malware that could signal a major shift in the way the worm operates.
SetURLCookie.asp

The new variant, dubbed Conficker B++, was spotted three days ago by SRI International researchers, who published details of the new code on Thursday. To the untrained eye, the new variant looks almost identical to the previous version of the worm, Conficker B. But the B++ variant uses new techniques to download software, giving its creators more flexibility in what they can do with infected machines.
Conficker-infected machines could be used for sending spam, logging keystrokes, or launching denial of service (DoS) attacks, but an ad hoc group calling itself the Conficker Cabal has largely prevented this from happening. They've kept Conficker under control by cracking the algorithm the software uses to find one of thousands of rendezvous points on the internet where it can look for new code. These rendezvous points use unique domain names, such as pwulrrog.org, that the Conficker Cabal has worked hard to register and keep out of the hands of the criminals.
How the IT world conspired to kill Conficker
How to stop Conficker worm
Microsoft puts $250k bounty on Conficker worm
The new B++ variant uses the same algorithm to look for rendezvous points, but it also gives the creators two new techniques that skip them altogether. That means that the Cabal's most successful technique could be bypassed.

Conficker underwent a major rewrite in December, when the B variant was released. But this latest B++ version includes more subtle changes, according to Phil Porras, a programme director with SRI. "This is a more surgical set of changes that they've made," he said.

To put things in perspective: There were 297 subroutines in Conficker B; 39 new routines were added in B++ and three existing subroutines were modified, SRI wrote in a report on the new variant. B++ suggests "the malware authors may be seeking new ways to obviate the need for internet rendezvous points altogether", the report states.
See Security Advisor for more PC security reviews and news

Porras could not say how long Conficker B++ has been in circulation, but it first appeared on February 6, according to a researcher using the pseudonym Jart Armin, who works on the Hostexploit.com website, which has tracked Conficker.

Though he does not know whether B++ was created in response to the Cabal's work, "it does make the botnet more robust and it does mitigate some of the Cabal's work," Support Intelligence CEO Rick Wesson said.

Also known as Downadup, Conficker spreads using a variety of techniques. It exploits a dangerous Windows bug to attack computers on a local area network, and it can also spread via USB devices such as cameras or storage devices. All variants of Conficker have now infected about 10.5 million computers, according to SRI

Conficker worm back with a vengeance News - PC Advisor

I know this virus isn't supposed to "activate" since April 1st, but I've been hearing you may see "symptoms" of it prior to that.

I work in a school district. We're running XP Pro SP3. Several computers have ran into an issue, with the error as follows:

"unable to log you on because net logon services are not running on this machine"

-We cannot log into safe mode.
-We cannot log onto any local accounts.
-We cannot log into a domain account.

We're just... stuck. Is it possible that this is the virus emerging? We've had a few more issues that have come up in the last week that are kind of bizare, but I'm not sure what else to think of it, and unfortunately I'm not finding any re-occuring searches on google to indicate that my issues I'm facing ARE Conficker...

In order to bulletproof themselves against exploits targeting the SVCHOST.EXE vulnerability, Windows users are advised to deploy MS08-067 immediately. The security bulletin has now been available for a couple of months on Windows Update, and Windows operating systems with Automatic Updates enables have already deployed the patch. Microsoft informed that while both Windows client and server operating systems were affected because of the mitigations introduced in Vista Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7, the vulnerability on these platforms was rated only Important and not Critical.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx

I dont think what you are experiencing is Conficker

There are a few basic ones that usualy always point to a virus, such as firewall/automatic updates being disabled and can't be re-enabled. McAfee, F-Secure, and a few other AV companys have written special software to remove it, heck McAfee has a version of stinger that only searchs for Conflicker variants...

If you really want to scan for conflicker on a system, download the stinger version designed for conflicker, as the regular version doesn't have a database that will scan for it.
McAfee Threat Center

After reading around on some hacker forums and such, I really don't think anything is going to happen, anything serious that is. Guess we will see later on today, after all, it is April 1 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom