Computer Shutdown Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
Hey guys, my brother is in college and he looks to me for computer advice. He recently says he has something on his computer where a little box pops up and it says something something blah blah your system will shut down in 59-58-57... and so on, and it just shuts down and it does it pretty often, any way to get rid of this. I remember having this virus a few years back and i got rid of it succesfully, although i cant find out figure out how to do it now. Any help or link for removal or a program or update that removes it would be a GREAT helps so much. Thanks alot guys!

[Flame snipped]

this is a virus,, if you have windows XP ,, boot to safe mode by repeatedly pressing F8 at start up,,,

once in safemode,, run your AntiVirus,, ensure that prior to this,, you have the most recent Definitions list.

Also,,if this is XP,, you will want to Knock off System REstore,, you can do this by performing a right click on MY COMPUTER and choosing the SYSTEM RESTORE tab and either checking or unchecking the box,,

I know that SYMANTEC posted a fix tool for this virus,, however ,, the exact name eludes me right now,,

BUT,, you AV should discover it and tell the name,, then either let the AV repair ,, or download a free fix tool

cheers,,

CrashAbbott said:
[SNIPPED]

It's one of the generic replies. Hijack this may be a great utility to help with browser hijacking and exploits, but it does nothing for virus removal.

Scanning with your AV program or using an online scan plus a removal tool from symantec or trend micro is the way to go.

where a little box pops up and it says something something blah blah your system will shut down in 59-58-57...

sounds like sasser .. try here
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.worm.html

Because as PART of running that thread is running his a/v. or don't you guys BOTHER reading the threads? So before he even gets to posting a hijack log, he will have run his a/v. Liz

If you want to get technical, then yes, part of my courses were Network Securities and Design. We do upgrading every year, covering topics from software flaws, security issues, new technologies and a host of other topics.

In the shop I manage, we deal with all sorts of issues, from building new systems, removal of virus files, restorations, component sales and repairing flawed softwares.

We do use the host of spyware tools, from adaware, spybot, cw shredder, hijack this, the list goes on.

My point is southernlady, Hijack this will not remove any virus. It helps with browser exploits, registry keys and downloaded program files at best. It does not remove things such as sasser, or msblaster.

I am not trying to say what you are suggesting to do is wrong. You are posting, in your opinion, the steps you think they should take to correct an issue. Others will post steps more immediate to the users needs.

I just don't feel that asking a person to download the latest spyware tools is relevant to ridding themselves of a virus. Especially if it's sasser that tosses them offline in the first place.

In my line of work, the customer is worried 50% about what is wrong with their pc, and the other 50% is how long it takes me as we don't do this for peanuts. So by being accurate and taking logical steps in troubleshooting can we stay prosperous.

But making SURE what they have is also what I need to do and running a hijack log is my way of doing that since *I* can't physically take their computer in hand and do it for them. I have to rely on what tools I have. The HiJack log is the only tool *I* have that reads their running processes. If they have done every step in the thread we guide them to, including going thru their own a/v then the hijack log is all I have left to work with.

And it was not meant to remove virii but it can identify them. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom