Computer Security (Machine ID)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dwright said:
...Ideally i don't want to have to delete cookies each time I use the computer...

So cookies are the problem? If so, you can:
1. have cookies automatically removed upon closing the browser
2. use different browsers (eg you use IE and your dad uses FF)
3. set separate (optionally password-protected) profiles with FF
4. use separate logins for Windows so IE will not use the same cache/cookies (similar to #3 except with ugly 'ol IE)

I read through everything above, but...what is this about installing additional software (duplicates), OS's, etc? That's crazy... but I am curious, just what software are you going to try and install twice? Internet Explorer? :p (No pun intended, of course!)

Edit
Ack, obviously I didn't read throughly enough...this is a program you download and not a website itself?
/Edit

To make my questions a bit simpler, for now I want to forget about cookies. I want to find a solution to my problem without having to delete any cookies.

Many cookies are useful to me and I don't want to have to sort through cookies that I want and ones that I don't.

Going back to what Baronvongogo said - "you can install software more than once just change the location and name of where its installed. Although the registry entries they use would be the same i think."

So, there may still be a problem with the registry entries being the same - this probably wouldn't solve my problem. If I use Virtual PC and create separate OS's, would this give me separate Registries, and thus separate locations for the registry entries the software makes?

Or, to solve the problem beyond doubt, would it be safer to partition and install separate OS's, ensuring separate registry entries by each software download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom