Computer continually restarts unless in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCisHosed

Solid State Member
I hope this is the right place to post my virus/spyware/whatever problem that I am having. A few days ago I downloaded what I thought to be an update for Flash player, but after running the .exe file McAfee popped up a "Threat detected" warning and ever since my PC has been...well hosed.

I assumed since McAfee detected the threat it had eliminated it, but when I tried to put my laptop in hibernate mode it restarted, and thus began the problem of it continually restarting immediately after loading Windows (Vista Home edition). Whenever I load Windows it restarts and gives me the BSOD with the 0x0000008e STOP error message. All things considered I'm almost positive it isn't a hardware issue as that error message leads one to believe.

Being a somewhat PC literate person I loaded up Windows in Safe Mode and tried to run MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, and HiJackThis only to find that none of them load! I just uninstalled and reinstalled MalwareBytes to see if it would work and it still doesn't load. I've run McAfee but it is out of date, as it was only a trial version that came with the laptop and expired over a year ago, so it didn't do much.

I've tried downloading and installing a few other programs, such as Stopzilla, and it will not run either. I did get a trial version of ExterminateIt! to scan, but I didn't want to shell out $25 without coming here first to see if anyone could help me out. It said it located a few things (Zlob, Agent, and FishDown E). I have over a dozen memory dumps which Windows has created upon all the frequent restarts, but I fear that may be the only thing of use I have as HiJackThis doesn't load...

I also tracked down the detailed report from McAfee of the threat detected, {5B57CF47-0BFA-43c6-ACF9-3B3653DCADBA}, and google searches seem to show that Win32.ExpDwnldr is the culprit. I've been doing a lot of research these past few days :) Anyways I'm game to try anything and I am fairly PC literate so just point me in the right direction. :) Oh and System Restore has also failed to work. Whatever got my PC, got it good.

I b et you, the bug attached itself to a driver file, so when it removed it, it took the driver out.

If you read the bsod file with windbg from MS, It'll tell you what driver, and then you should beable to reinstall it.

Ahh that is the one thing I forgot to mention that I tried yesterday. I downloaded the Windows DBT for my 32-bit Vista OS...but I can't install it when in Safe Mode, so yet again I am hosed.

I placed all the dmp files, 21 in total from the last few days, into a .rar file, but I don't see how to attach it to a post. I'm trying to host the file via a website called rar host, but the tiny 373kb file isn't uploading. My internet connection has been working fine, as I have downloaded a few different tools in the last few hours trying to fix the problem, so I'm not sure why it isn't uploading...

Edit: Ok here's a link to a hosting site I got to work.

Wow. This vile corruption has even attached itself to my dmp files...lovely. Well it seems this scan is working. I'll see what the results are

Well it found a Trojan, supposedly removed it, scanned a 2nd time and didn't list anything. Nothing seems to have changed however, as all the problems still exist. I did forget to mention that in my many attempts to figure this out on my own, before coming here, I downloaded and ran a program called RegRun Reanimator. It processed a huge log file of some sort. Could that be of any help?

Well it found a Trojan, supposedly removed it, scanned a 2nd time and didn't list anything. Nothing seems to have changed however, as all the problems still exist. I did forget to mention that in my many attempts to figure this out on my own, before coming here, I downloaded and ran a program called RegRun Reanimator. It processed a huge log file of some sort. Could that be of any help?

Run combofix and then malwarebytes, post both of their logs and then post a hijackthis log. They can be found in my sig below

Well I just downloaded ComboFix but when I try to install, nothing happens. Still unable to run Malwarebytes and HijackThis so what can I do other than take this laptop and throw it off a cliff?

SUPER EDIT: Ok so apparently renaming the files allows them to work. I ran combofix, aka combos, and it made me restart. Well I am currently online in NORMAL Windows mode, and no BSOD yet. I will run Malwarebytes next, unless I should run Combofix again. I shall await your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom