CD burner program is spying on us

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppermint10

Solid State Member
When I opened Easy Media Creator 10, a message from my ISP RoadRunner appeared in the main window. It warned me that they have received a complaint that my computer has been used to distribute copyrighted material.
I can't see how I can receive a message from my ISP through Easy Media Creator unless the program is spying on me. Obviously the program collects information about the files I burn to a CD, and send the data back to the program owner which is Roxio, a subsidiary of Sonic Solutions.
I have not found any information online about this spying activity.
Can anybody tell me what is going on? Is this something everybody knows, and nobody is worried about?

If I do, or don't – that is not the point. The point is that Roxio, or Sonic Solutions are policing their users. Shall we just accept that they have the authority to do so? If yes – then anybody can use their programs to monitor everything we are doing on the computer online and offline.

Use a different program then, lol. Get Nero; it'll do everything and more you need.

If you don't tell us the truth, we won't give you jack. Now the police have proof of you stealing and burning pirated material, and if they do come for you, that is a jailable offense.

Use a different program then, lol. Get Nero; it'll do everything and more you need.

Bingo! - No-one forces you to use the Operating System or Applications you use...you chose to use them so if you don't like 'em use something else...

If you don't tell us the truth, we won't give you jack. Now the police have proof of you stealing and burning pirated material, and if they do come for you, that is a jailable offense.

Even though my posting contain a question or two - I am not asking for anything.

Bingo! - No-one forces you to use the Operating System or Applications you use...you chose to use them so if you don't like 'em use something else...

You are absolutely right, and of course I no longer use Easy Media Creator.

But I thought this was a good forum to discuss invasions of privacy.
Am I the only one concerned that a seemingly innocent, and great working CD/DVD burner program, lurks around on your computer and reports your activities to... someone?
Even in the “real world” it's up to the legal system to do the wiretapping, not private companies.

Well if you're not running anything illegal then why worry?

Would be nice to see the screenshot of this ISP message, i know i would have hit that Print Screen message pretty darn quick!

Well if you're not running anything illegal then why worry?

So, your logic is: “If you don't have anything to hide, BigBrother should be able to see everything you are doing – in your own home.
Nice.
Are you very young? Or, are you familiar with George Orwell?
I might have a hard time getting my point across. Maybe you will understand what I am trying to say by looking up the word totalitarianism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom