Can you recommend a good virus scanner? (JUST scanner. NOT active protection.)

mikeyRivers

Beta member
I used Microsoft Security Essentials for my "active system monitoring." It's well, and since it's very light, I won't change it. I'm looking for secondary scanners that come recommended by you.

Remember, I don't want an anti-virus "monitor" that runs as a windows process. What I'm looking for is a "file scanner" that scans designated folders/drives.

Now adays, if you're paying attention, the quantity of spyware/Trojans/active x viruses is at an all time high. It seems like I get infected going to common websites even. I am looking to expand my assemblage of file scanners. In my opinion, the more, the better. (Sometimes I like to scan my drives with 3+ virus scanners. I'd like even more.)

I currently use:

Malwarebytes - Sweet secondary scanner. Doesn't run as a process (is just a scanner) and isn't "active monitoring" Perfect!
clam - Sweet scanner I actually got lastnight. Takes a long time, and doesn't clean files? (that's fine, but not as good as I hoped)
Super Anti Spyware - sweet spyware scanner
Online Virus Scanners - Housecall - Housecall is the best online scanner I've found and actually cleans the files for FREE. (do you guys know any other good online files scanners?)

Can you guys reccommend any additional file scanners that scan windows drives/files? Please remember, I don't want it to actively manage/monitor! (I USE MSE FOR THIS) I want it to be a secondary scanner that scans upon my request. THANKS!

I appreciate your help!

You want only one virus scanner. However you want a few anti spyware/adware/malware scanners. Two dedicated antiviruses can be problematic and cause system instability.

I recommend:
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Spybot Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes :)

Heck yeah.

I now run Microsoft Security Essentials as the "active monitor"

And have these following as file scanners: (NOT ACTIVELY MONITORING):
1) Spyboy search and destroy
2) Malwarebytes
3) SUPERAntiSpyware
4) Clamware (Clamware is just okay)

Did I miss any?

:p

A good online scanner, is from F-secure, it will also sort out your problems,and if it can't, it'll tell
you what to do about it.Also provides an on line security checker to check apps.

Back
Top Bottom