Booting Problems (Maybe virus related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Bullet

In Runtime
K ill start from when it happened.
Well i was reinstalling my Chipset drivers cause my mic on my headset wasn't working when my computer gave me the Blue Screen O Death saying "Memory Cache Dump" or something along those lines. So like the other times when it came up with this i reset the computer. Then it came up with the screen where you choose to start it normally or in safe mode. Because this had happened before and it hadn't affected my computer to my knowledge i decided it would be alright to start it in normal mode but as it was booting just before it got to the screen where windows says its loading it flashes a Blue Screen O Death and restarts. Thinking it might need to be started in safe mode i started it in safe mode this time but the exact same thing this time except for the flashing blue screen. Now im kinda stumped so i try starting in safe mode a few times again same thing everytime so i decide maybe its time for a fresh start again so i go to reinstall windows. But then it says "General Protection Fault" along with a lot of numbers and words as i started to boot from the windows xp cd to install the new version of windows.
So now thinking my hardrive might of just died i chuck it in this computer to check wether it detects it. And it does so i do a error scan and tell it to fix the errors and stuff it does that and then i defrag the hardrive it does so no problems. So i decide maybe that help i chuck it back in my other computer hoping it will boot with no probs it doesn't now it sits on the "Boot from ATAPI CD ROM : ". Then it comes up with DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. So i check my CMOS setting to see wether my computer detects the CD ROM it does i check wether my XP cd is in there it is and thats where im at now i hope that helps you find out my problem.

EDIT: Forgot to add i scanned my computer for spyware and viruses minutes before this happened.

If you can get the error code, it would help, 3lite Bullet. Then I can help you figure out if it's a hard disk failure or a boot virus. Liz

Here is the everything thats on the General Protection Fault screen

TRAP 0000000D ============== GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT ========================

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base=000174000

cs:eip=0008 :0031722E ss:esp=0010:00061FE4 errcode=E124
flags=00010056 NoCy Zr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=A0B1A800 ebx=00301280 ecx=00001617 edx=00000000 ds=0010 es=0010
edi=0000110C esi=00051D68 ebp=00061FF0 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

So now thinking my hardrive might of just died i chuck it in this computer to check wether it detects it. And it does so i do a error scan and tell it to fix the errors and stuff it does that and then i defrag the hardrive it does so no problems

You should have done a complete format, instead of scanning for errors and defragmenting.. try that and put HDD back in your comp and install windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom