Blocked something with MS Antispyware but dunno what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I installed the newest version of Spysweeper, and shortly after Microsoft Antispyware asked me if I wanted to block something called 'ads.centralohio.com'. I didn't know what it was and presumed it was spyware so I blocked it. The thing is, I'm wondering if it's part of the Spysweeper 4 installation. After uninstalling and reinstalling Spysweeper, the same thing happened - this time though MS Antispyware blocked it WITHOUT asking me. There seems to be no way of unblocking it aside from uninstalling/reinstalling Spysweeper with MS Antispyware switched off. This is what MS Antispyware says about it:-

"Windows Hosts File alert

Occured on: 08/06/2005 at 00:04:20

The entry ads.centralohio.com pointing to IP address 127.0.0.1 has been automatically been denied permission to be added to the Windows Hosts file. This Hosts file change was blocked based on your previous input."

Does anybody running these 2 programs together know what this is and have you encountered it during the installation of Spysweeper 4? All help much appreciated.
:)

I run both these programs together and never ran into this problem. Uninstall them both, then install SS then MS.

Warez Monster said:
I run both these programs together and never ran into this problem. Uninstall them both, then install SS then MS.

Thanks Warez - I followed your advice and uninstalled them both. After reinstalling MS Antispyware(after SS) it still alerted me about this ads.centralohio thing and said it had blocked it due to my previous input. I wasn't online at the time so it looks as though this is part of Spysweeper, but I can't reverse the blocking of it as it isn't listed in the 'blocked events' of MS Antispyware. Very frustrated now. I just hope theres someone out there who has experienced the same thing that can point me in the right direction.

Warez Monster said:
I beleive 'ads.centralohio.com' is a scam site so its probably fine the MS blocked it.

Really? Where did you hear that? Before reading this I uninstalled both then restarted so it wouldn't be blocked. Now I'm worried I've allowed a scam site in LOL. Could it not be that it sends info to Spysweeper after a scan or something?

I have been running both for a long time and have never seen that url, so I don't think its related. Just coincidence I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom