Bitdefender and Comodo Cleaning Essentials are Best 2012 - PCMag.com

Sorry I call bogus. No way in H E double hockey sticks that Norton gets 4.5 stars and MBAM gets 3. Not to mention they use an old outdated version of MBAM. They compare version 1.51 when version 1.62 has been out for a while now. That just shows that PCMag doesnt want to step on their advertisers or people who pay them money for good reviews. Norton has done this in the past with PCMag and everyone knows it. They had the most adverts in the published mag and they still get favored on their online only mag now.

Not to even mention the fact they dont even test MSE at all. Funny how they test so many, but yet they dont test the one from the OS Developers themselves. PCMag can take a long walk off a short pier. They are only padding the ego of the people who write them checks. They are not nor will they ever be a publication to read if you want real results and feedback. They only care about who lines their pockets.

kinda hard to disprove when they also include how they test the malware scanner / blockers. i dont see any hard facts in your statement that supports mbam over norton. it is possible that norton wins because it removes more traces of malware than mbam.

if you post links to other reports, i'd take them into consideration.

kinda hits home to where there's potential to collect data on the malware removed in tf posts.

Really? You dont see any hard facts? How about our whole Virus removal section? What tool is used more than any other to remove viruses on our site and by countless others? MBAM is the first tool suggested followed by Combofix. Not once do you see any Security Expert suggest Norton as a way to remove an infection and every security expert I talk to, considers Norton an infection.

Plus all you have to do is go to malwarebytes.org to see that the version to download is 1.62. Well it makes sense now, the article is 4 months old as it is. So that would explain why they only used version 1.51 instead of the improved 1.62 version. Your are reading an article from April.

It is very easy to disprove, if you have common sense and follow the history of PCMag. Just get an old copy and tell me how many ads from Norton/Symantec are in there. You want hard facts, fine.

Viruses, Spyware and Malware
This area if full of members who praise MBAM over Norton any day of the week.
HijackThis Logs (finished)
This will show you how many times MBAM has been used to remove infections compared to Norton. In fact you will find some systems that run Norton use MBAM to clean their system properly.
Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum
Yet again more MBAM over Norton
Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal - Geeks to Go Forums
Do I really have to say it?

So clearly having a bit more knowledge about Security than most I dont need some stupid article to tell me something when I have actual proof of removal. I have done it on this site using MBAM and other tools for how many years and knowing people on TSF, GeeksToGo among other sites that suggest the same thing. Not a single true security expert suggest Norton. So my "hard facts" show right in all of the logs of all the members who systems have been cleaned. There is your hard proof, something that you wont find using a definitive set of infections and using different tools on a test bed to find them. I have REAL WORLD results to back up every word I have said. Ask anyone on this site who has any real security knowledge, in fact make a poll. Find out how many would vote for Norton over MBAM. I bet you my status on this site that MBAM would win in a landslide of epic proportions.

Really? You dont see any hard facts? How about our whole Virus removal section? What tool is used more than any other to remove viruses on our site and by countless others? MBAM is the first tool suggested followed by Combofix. Not once do you see any Security Expert suggest Norton as a way to remove an infection and every security expert I talk to, considers Norton an infection.

Plus all you have to do is go to malwarebytes.org to see that the version to download is 1.62. Well it makes sense now, the article is 4 months old as it is. So that would explain why they only used version 1.51 instead of the improved 1.62 version. Your are reading an article from April.

It is very easy to disprove, if you have common sense and follow the history of PCMag. Just get an old copy and tell me how many ads from Norton/Symantec are in there. You want hard facts, fine.

Viruses, Spyware and Malware
This area if full of members who praise MBAM over Norton any day of the week.
HijackThis Logs (finished)
This will show you how many times MBAM has been used to remove infections compared to Norton. In fact you will find some systems that run Norton use MBAM to clean their system properly.
Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum
Yet again more MBAM over Norton
Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal - Geeks to Go Forums
Do I really have to say it?

So clearly having a bit more knowledge about Security than most I dont need some stupid article to tell me something when I have actual proof of removal. I have done it on this site using MBAM and other tools for how many years and knowing people on TSF, GeeksToGo among other sites that suggest the same thing. Not a single true security expert suggest Norton. So my "hard facts" show right in all of the logs of all the members who systems have been cleaned. There is your hard proof, something that you wont find using a definitive set of infections and using different tools on a test bed to find them. I have REAL WORLD results to back up every word I have said. Ask anyone on this site who has any real security knowledge, in fact make a poll. Find out how many would vote for Norton over MBAM. I bet you my status on this site that MBAM would win in a landslide of epic proportions.

I have never used Norton for that exact reason. Because as soon as you uninstall BAM you get virus after virus. I used AVG and MSE on my old Laptop before it's HDD got bad sectors and crashed.

Honestly Office I have to agree with K on this one. MBAM is the first thing that everyone suggests. I am sure I could find a stack more links proving what he is saying.

I understand that you found a technique that works. It is prolly "good enough" for your needs, but that's not what is in question here. I'm looking for what software is the best and why.

PCMag does give praise to MBAM Free. They state that it matches NAV in the Number of Detections. However, the PRO version did not block some malware that NAV did. Also, they are saying that Comodo Cleaning Essentials is better than MBAM Free cus it does not require an install and can clean more rootkits.

i dont see hard facts. I see a big mess of unstructured data. If you know a Security Expert, please ask them to comment on this thread.

TF's Hijackthis (fixed) forum has 27 threads that were started in 2012. I didn't see any reference to MBAM in the threads I reviewed. Also, afaik, you're not running stats. I assume your running off memory. I think you could make this better by setting up a webform for users to fill out. This creates a data structure that can be used for future analysis.

techsupportforum uses dds and gmer for analysis. also they recommend ppl DO NOT use combofix until they request it. This is because combofix can render a machine unusable in certain scenarios. geekstogo uses OTL for analysis

Can Microsoft Security Essentials beat Norton? | PC Pro blog

But as the name clearly indicates, “ (MS) Security Essentials” doesn't try to protect you against every possible threat. It's a basic defence against basic malware – the stuff that's prominent enough to succumb to signature identification.

So Microsoft is wooing users who don't use full-featured security software by offering them something easier, lighter and less intrusive: a security client stripped down to the basics, with a so-simple-it-hurts interface. With no nagging and free updates for life it's a pretty compelling proposition

my apologies for the misleading thread title. Bitdefender is rated best by independant av testers. PCMag recommends NAV or Webroot

Believe whatever you want. The simple facts are this. I am a security expert. If you know who sUBs is, then you know just one of the people I learned from over the years. In case you dont, he is the creator of Combofix.

So it is no hair off my head or worry to me. I know the truth. I dont trust articles on the internet. Reading them is like reading a Wikipedia entry. Full of lies and misconceptions of the person who wrote them.

I know what works. I know what doesnt. If my 8 years helping people on here isnt enough and my 25+ years overall working with PC's isnt enough to be some kind of expert on something, then that is not my problem. I have helped people clean their PC's from infections using various tools. What have you done that stands for your knowledge on Security or Removal other than read a bunch of online posts?

My record speaks for itself. Take it as you will and believe what you will. I cant deter someone who refuses to see things as they are. Hope you stay secure and enjoy yourself.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/mediali...nkingendpointantivirusantimalware_3931043.pdf

Regarding the survey you requested, Informationweek surveyed its users; see link above. 386 business technology decision-makers at North American companies responded. One fact that was concluded was that 42% of the ppl claimed they use or have evaluated Symantec antivirus products. This is compared to the 19% that claimed they use or evaluated Malwarebytes

being a security expert, i think you should be sharing research, building analysis software, speaking at conferences, or trying to get published. i think this would be better than scanning people's machines for them and fixing them.

Best of luck to ya,

OP

Good to know that my trusted Avast is on the list.
I've been using it for quite sometimes already and I am very much satisfied with it.

I use Avast on my phone now, it's the best Android security suite by far.

Back
Top Bottom