Best Programs/Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroplane22

Baseband Member
What are some other good programs I should or may want to check out.

Currently using:

ESET Firewall + NOD32
CCleaner
Diskeeper

CPU-Z
CoreTemp
HWMonitor

Trying to round up computer reliability software.

The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  1. Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  2. AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  3. SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  4. SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  5. IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  6. CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  7. Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  8. Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  9. Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
  10. Weather Watcher - Free taskbar weather program that is free, malware free, and resource light.
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein.

Alright double posting this thread was not necessary. Either post it in one area or the other. Do NOT post it in both. I have deleted the Windows discussion.

Right, no double content. By the way, I would not suggest installing any of the toolbars above. Why does a regular user need Google toolbar? To check PR of different sites? If anyone needs quick access to Google engine, it would be a great idea just to create a button on the bookmark panel in Firefox. Weather can be checked on Yahoo or any other big portal. With a week's forecast.

Thats a general speech. Who's to say every user will have Firefox? I personally like Google Toolbar, and it has one of the most powerful pop up blocking engines for internet explorer.

Many people use Weatherbug which is a form of adware, which we remove in fixes or at least comment on. That's a free safe alternative.

Toolbars are a necessary component of any browsing experience on Internet Explorer.

That's a speech that is created for a general user, and was built together by security professionals that have years of experience more than you AND I put together. I take their comments, and canned speeches highly, and I believe you should do the same.

Have you ever checked out the Yahoo Widget Engine? It used to be Konfabulator. It has desktop widgets for weather and more.

I understand recommending add-ons for IE, but toolbars rob you of browser real estate and clutter the interface.

Have you tried CCleaner in the place of CLeanUp! ? I was wondering how the two compare.

I run Firefox myself with several security extensions, so much of this would not apply. I regularly use several of these when I am cleaning up a computer, but not on my own... I run a very tight ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom